Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Urgent advice - Rear parcel shelf - mounting 6x9's

I am in the middle of re-building my boot after some welding and trying to tidy up all the ice bits from the previous owners handywork. :shock:

Do I need to strenthen the rear-parcel shelf with a length of MDF to add support for the 6x9 speakers? Or will this just end up adding more weight to the shelf and moving the strain to the supports and straps?

Advice urgently needed so I can put the car back together again.

Cheers.

I would have thought adding MDF is just gonna add uneccesary weight to it. If you arent having a stealth shelf, I would just mount them straight on. Take your time cutting it tho!

New shelf is black and already had the holes cut in it.

Bought another one, as the old one had the holes cut out towards the back of the shelf, which had broken the rear parcel shelf supports, which I've also replaced.

Gone with a bit of MDF and see how I get on. Thanks for all the advice.

Stealth shelf looks a good upgrade. Have you got one fitted?

dont put speakers in that location. They are going to be too close togther to sound good. Use the 6 oem locations and add a sub. If anything, you may want to add small tweeters to the mirror triangles up front. I crnge whenever I see someone bastardise the parcel trays. impossible to find as is...

I would always save the oem shelf if it hadn't been butchered just to preserve it. Best solution is a stealth shelf. Essential for sound quality as they help improve the bass extention of the speakers, acting as a baffle. But most importantly, they hide your 6x9's from thieving little s**ts, coz they're screwed underneath out of sight and the shelf is made to look like the original.

I just got a 3 1/4 inch thick piece of MDF from a builders merchants for £8, drew round the oem shelf, cut it out with a jigsaw, smoothed edges with sandpaper then covered with acoustic cloth bought from a car hi-fi shop for £10.....total cost £18 and really makes a difference to the bass the speakers punt out.

The shelf is VERY heavy, as are the 6x9's coz they have mahoosive magnets but i have had no probs with the shelf supoorts creaking or cracking. The only downside is that i cannot use the shelf straps as the shelf is to heavy.

Got past the problem of the parcel straps by using steel wire which has a plastic coating, so doesn't look too industrial.

Couple of washers to stop it pulling through the shelf holes in the corner and job sorted.