Sign in to follow this  
Crumbs

I changed my HT leads and......

Not being that technically minded I have a question for all of you who are.

Bought my Corrado VR6 in 2003 (just found this Forum. Very s-l-o-w of me) and have had a number of intermittent problems concerning the noise my car makes whilst idling. It sounds like it misses (and there is a little vibration in the car that emanates from the engine and the engine note changes.)

Changed the plugs to no avail and then bought and fitted 8.5mm (I know way too big for the guides) Magnecor HT leads. Now this is where it all started going tits up.

On trying to make my car run smoother it actually did the opposite and started to make my car look like Id fitted it with some rude boy / hydraulic suspension kit and I started bucking down the road. On closer inspection there were a few rouge sparks flying around my lead/spark plug interface. (Checked they were fitted correctly)

As I am lucky/stupid enough to have another Corrado VR6 (for sale if anyone wants it £3250 fvsh 105K) I swapped the leads over and both cars ran as well as they both did previously so it would seem that the leads are fine.

Took it to awesome GTI, they diagnosed it that it was PROBABLY the coil pack (that they fitted in 2003).

I am now on my old leads that miss intermittently but I want to sort the problem out

1. Would better leads massively magnify a coil pack problem?

2. Would a coil pack deteriorate that much in 4 years

3. What were all those sparks about?

4. How can I test to see whether it is my coil pack? (I’ve heard from other threads that you can use a plant water mister but where do I spray and will I blow up?)

Any help would be really appreciated

Cheers in advance

...........It sounds like it misses (and there is a little vibration in the car that emanates from the engine and the engine note changes.)

VR's tend to 'miss a beat' when idling as standard. Just depends how badly it's 'missing' I guess as to whether or not it's normal.

Are you sure it's not just the rad fan kicking in and sucking up a bit of power temporarily?

Annd make sure you use the proper tool to get the leads on and off otherwise you're likely to break them :(

Cheers lads,

Definately not the fan its well more pronounced than that and happens every 6 seconds(ish). After 3 years of not running correctly its started to really frustrate my testies off. :brickwall:

I have got the proper plastic thingy bob extraction tooly thing but found that the top of the handle restricted the massive lead width on the 8.5mm leads and ended up pulling it out once you put it in. Got a metal one from GSF that puts in and puts out well.

The magnecor leads seem to work fine on the other corrado so would VW ones work better? I want to know why they dont work on my original corrado but work well on the other and why the misfiring (if thats what it is) is so much more prounonced. Would a VAGCOM read do anything?

A vag will tell you which cylinder is misfiring.

The coilpack should not fail in such a short time...its a part thats supposed to last over 100k.

Find yourself another coilpack and switch it out...then you'll know for sure.

best thing to do if you can is get the coilpack off and inspect it for cracks use silicone sealent to cover the cracks up let it dry for a day or so then try it in the car

You need to swap coilpacks over mate. One of mine has a large crack in but still works a treat - i guess it just depends where the crack is.

If you do need to replace the coilpack...there is one made by Borg Warner (P/N E635). It cost me 200usd vs the 400 for the Telefunken one from VW.

Its identical in every way to the VW one. I've been using it for the past 4 months with no problems.