Sign in to follow this  
oxfordpaul

Creak when depressing clutch

Any ideas what causes this? It's a very obvious creak every time the clutch is depressed. I've replaced the clutch as the release seemed very sharp but it's still the same although the pedal is lighter. When changing gear especially in lower gears, no matter how slowly I release the clutch pedal it's as if it just snatches. Is the creaking and the snatchiness to do with the hydraulic clutch system?

I don't know if this is the same problem you're talking about but nearly all Corrados make a quiet spring type creak when you press the clutch. They just do and you can't really do anything about it.

But if your clutch is grabbing too then it may be something else...

Bleed the clutch fluid through. That can help, but it's about time (10 years on) that the clutch master/slave cylinders get a bit iffy - particularly if the fluid hasn't been bled through regularly.

Hi, I thought I'd re-ignite my thread on this as the car is still doing it despite being on it's 2nd new clutch. It's silent when cold but creaks quite loudly when warm. It's quite embarrasing as you can hear it over the engine noise at idle outside the car - I've had a few VR's and none have done this. APS said it was the forks on the clutch but I don't see how it can be with this being the third clutch that has creaked?

Also not sure if related but the change into 2nd gear and to some degree third is quite sharp, like a thud when the clutch takes up. Again I can't see how 3 clutches all behave the same? I've had all new engine mounts but still no change. Could the slave or master cylinders affect any of these things?

Need to find out if the creak is inside the box or not - if so it could be the clutch fork or release bearing sleeve altho these should really have been changed as a matter of course if you've had 3 clutches...

How do you know if it's inside or not? It certainly is under the bonnet but I can't tell if it's external or not. As you say the clutch release bearing was replaced I was told and after I asked for a replacement under warranty I would have thought they would pay even more attention to this?

Stethascope?

Yeah the release bearing is part of the clutch kit but the sleeve and the fork (the bit the slave cyl actuates) is not usually changed as part of a clutch change unless damaged...

Was a genuine clutch kit fitted?? I know Stealth had a lot of warranty issues with LuK and SACHS pattern kits from GSF but this was normally judder, not creaking...

Maybe worth spraying some white grease onto the sping on the pedal box, also mayb worth changing the slave cyl if it's an original cast iron one (new ones are ally with plastic sleeve)

Happens on mine this when the cars warm does sound very much like a spring thats creaking like its dry or something shall look into it when i get my car back!

The clutch was changed at APS. I then went to Vince for my Schrick and he said I should demand the clutch be changed under warranty due to the creaking so APS did but as I say it's the same. It was a VAG one.

Where is the spring on the pedal box?

I might get the slave cylinder replaced anyway - would that create the snatching in 2nd?

Hi Jon, funnily enough your car was at Stealth when I had my Scrick done! I'm glad someone else knows what I'm on about! As you say it simply sounds like something needs oiling as it only happens when warm - surely if it were the clutch forks they'd creak all the time...

I get the creaking clutch pedal thing too and have done on all of my Corrado's.. its a fairly common thing though would be interested to know if there is a fix!

The spring is on the back of the clutch pedal - may have to remove that lower shelf to see it...

I reckon it must be in the clutch assembly if Vince thought you should get it changed again... grease can't do any harm tho and neither can changing the slave but it's unlikly to help gear changes unless the original is knackered...

its usually caused by the small pivot ball on the end of the clutch release fork being dry which causes the creaking and sometimes stiff clutch, its as simple as applying some thick high temp grease to the small pivot ball on the end of the clutch fork and another bit on the end of the bar that comes out of the clutch slave cylinder, i did this on mine when i changed the clutch and it completely stopped the creaking, it also made the clutch a bit smoother, I only knew to do this as i had seen the same thing on a couple of fiats before.

I used to get the creaking noise, but when I did my clutch I replaced the release fork and slave cylinder and now its silent, I'd go with the release fork being the problem.

Cheers guys, finally it sounds as though we may have a solution. I'm really disappointed that APS didn't think to do this when they had the clutch out though as I'm now going to have to incure more labour to get this sorted. I presume then the clutch itself is fine to stay, I'll just change the slave cylinder and get the grease applied.

If the slave cylinder is not leaking or sticking i wouldnt replace it, maybe clean it out and check it, but first i would just try greasing the pivot points, my clutch kit came with some grease to apply to the pivots and the thrust bearing sleeve.

It's the clutch forks, or more accurately, the pressure plate springs creaking as the release bearing puts strain on them. The release bearing and PP springs run dry and you would not be advised to grease them unless you want to write off the friction plate. As to why not all clutches do it, who knows, but Vince and I sat there for ages with a stethoscope in my bellhousing tracing the noise's source, and that's what it was.

Tried greasing the cerametallic orange ball and replacing the release arm - made no difference.

Don't dismiss APS so quickly for offering that as an answer because chances are they were right.

I'm on about my 6th clutch now (Plus rebuilt box, new cylinders, new release arm etc etc) and the only one that hasn't creaked so far is my uprated Helix Autosport one, which uses a SACHs sporting pressure plate with much stiffer springs than stock. All the other clutches creaked, even the dealer one.

Vince did find a production problem with GSF supplied clutches where the pressure springs weren't ground flat to make sure the bearing mates onto them properly.... you should have heard the creak that made!!

As to why not all clutches do it, who knows, but Vince and I sat there for ages with a stethoscope in my bellhousing

I always wondered why you spent so much time over at Stealth.. now I wish I didn't know why it was! :lol:

Sorry for the OT :)

As to why not all clutches do it, who knows, but Vince and I sat there for ages with a stethoscope in my bellhousing

I always wondered why you spent so much time over at Stealth.. now I wish I didn't know why it was! :lol:

Sorry for the OT :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: