Sign in to follow this  
markmcie

Reverse crunch

Sometimes when engaging reverse I get a bad crunch. Its normally when the car has being sitting ticking over while I open the garage door and I jump back in and go to grab reverse. So what I am doing lately is selecting first then reverse and it slips in without any noise.

Is this anything to worry about. I'm planning on changing the fluid soon so that might help.

no syncromesh on reverse i dont think ,clutch may be tacty a little first thing in the morning and draging or maybe the clutch needs bleading and as said above new oil is away a good thing ,does it happen after a short drive if not just put new oil in and get into the habit of engaging 1st before putting it in reverse

Rob

Sometimes when engaging reverse I get a bad crunch. Its normally when the car has being sitting ticking over while I open the garage door and I jump back in and go to grab reverse. So what I am doing lately is selecting first then reverse and it slips in without any noise.

Is this anything to worry about. I'm planning on changing the fluid soon so that might help.

It's just VW's :lol: loads of them do it, they don't like being rushed into reverse, it'll always be worse when the box is cold in the morning as the oil is much thicker, new synthetic oil will help but I doubt there's anything wrong at all.

Yes, I have the same problem, but mine seems to stick in reverse and needs a good pull to release, whether its cold or been on a long run.

Should I get ready for a big bill???? :shock:

Thanks guys. At this stage I am in such a habit of reaching for first then reverse I dont even know if there is a problem anymore. Time for a fluid change all the same.

My G reg 1.8 valver crunches too (117,000miles, VAGFSH, 2 owners) unless i select it v-e-e-e-ery slowly lol!! Plenty of positive replies here to ease my "oh no, i've bought a lemon" worries ;)