Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Passat V6 4Motion Opinions

Looks like we're gonna have to sell the vRS, as we're pretty skint :( Want to replace it with something decent, and have noticed that 4Motion estates can be had for as little as £3.5K. Don't know too much about them, but they look like the perfect alternative.

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated!

The C may also have to go too...

And my experience with high miler late 90's / early 00 VW's is less than positive.

My Golf TDI cost me about £1,800 in maintainence and repairs (had FVWSH) and lost £1,500 - all in a year. Sod that for a game of soldiers.

Wouldn't buy anything like that again unless it had very low mileage.

Thats, I think, what i'm getting at mate :)

Maybe I was just unlucky but.. taking it all into consideration, i'm better off with the Corrado at the moment than I was with the TDI. Tho I don't half miss the fuel economy of the diesel.

At least it's still got 2 years of warranty left.

The C on the other hand is doing my head in...

I'm in the same boat mate. Got this idling / running problem, handling is all over the shop - AND its my only car and daily driver so just taking it off the road is not an option. That and i'm proper skint so can only fix little tiny bits at a time.

I could easily sink £2000+ into it right now on jobs that need doing! I knew what I was letting myself in for buying another one so time to put up and shut up :)

But Jim, I bet you still look back at your Rado when you're walking away from it - I don't normally like red CXorrados but something about yours makes it look superb

Yep - I look at it almost every time I walk away without fail. Thats why I keep coming back to these cars - they just look so bloody good :)

And thanks for the comments! :)

Yeah - aint it a pain in the ass :|

Thought it was supposed to not be a problem on Flash Red - only on Tornado Red. That sure aint the case!

yeah i have to hire my mate to polish it for me :D hes so good at it , he gets it looking red as well red

We've had a good chat and done our sums, and we're gonna keep them both for the time being, and review the situation again in a few months.

Desperately need some money from somewhere though (don't we all?!).

Someone please buy my wheels!

Just whilst we're on the subject - what sort of MPG would you expect from a v6 4-Motion then? I'd be surprised if it was loads different to a VR...

We've had a good chat and done our sums, and we're gonna keep them both for the time being, and review the situation again in a few months.

Desperately need some money from somewhere though (don't we all?!).

Someone please buy my wheels!

you selling your wheels?

are they 4 stud?

Just whilst we're on the subject - what sort of MPG would you expect from a v6 4-Motion then? I'd be surprised if it was loads different to a VR...

If not slightly worse maybe?

I get better mpg out of my V6 Syncro than I did out of the Corrado..

Can get 32mpg on a long journey.

Fuel-wise, it's about £55 to fill up from completely empty, and I get over 300 miles easily with my driving to work malarkey.

Corrado used to be £60+ and I'd be lucky if I hit the 300 miles mark.

And mine's the 'heavier' Syncro (mechanical diffs) as opposed to the 4Motion (electric gismos).

Drive-by-wire and more advanced fuel handling than the old OBDI VR6s!

I also have the lovely lazy but grunty 30 valves too ;)

prob worse as it is a heavier car?

more advanced fuel handling than the old OBDI VR6s

This is why I was thinking about the same - do these cancel each other out :?:

Well, in my case they don't, I get better mpg still - but as Roddy points out, I have a 'special' one.. ;)

Thanks Ryan! :) It's an amazing amount of fun for such a big 'family' car.

I love the fact you can zip up to 40mph in 1st, off the lights, with no wheel-spin whatsoever in standing water!

Also very entertaining on roundabouts.. ;)

Back on topic.

The 4Motion system is predominantly front-wheel-drive (about 90% iirc) and only distributes to the other wheels when needed, so there shouldn't be much drive-train losses, etc normally associated with 4wd which would cause a loss in mpg as well as power. Plus it's not as heavy as my mechanical Syncro system so shouldn't be lugging more weight around.

I don't know about the 24v engines though. I think they may actually be more thirsty than the 12v - or at least that's the impression I get from the 24v users on here.... Or maybe it's just the effect of having a greater lead foot when you have a 24v!

It's a pity the 30v engine wouldn't fit in a C (it's the wrong way round to start ;)) as it's such a torquey, effortless engine, good returns, and cruises at 30mph in 5th pulling itself up hills on tickover 8)