Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

Golf mk3 front 280mm calipers on a G60 disk?

Anyone know if the 280mm calipers fitted to the mk3 golf GTI/VR6 fit with G60 disks on a 4 stud Corrado hub.

The golf 3's have longer brake hoses and a banjo type connection to the caliper body itself. The hose connects to the brake lines further up inside the wheel arch too, making the hoses about 10cm longer than the corrado ones.

I should be able to find a brake hose from a local motor factor with the banjo fitting that is nearer the right length for the Corrado, but I'm not sure about the caliper and carrier fitment as they do lok a little different from either of the Corrado types.

The main reason for not using the G60/VR6 calipers and carriers is I can get the mk3 bits much much cheaper (like like 10 quid per caliper and carrier) and the parts are newer and much lower mileage than any Corrado bits I've found.

BTW, it looks like the very last VR6's might have had mk3 style brakes?

cheers,

David.

In relation to where the rigid lines come out in the inner arch etc, the Corrado VR6 is exactly the same as the Golf in that respect.

Only the 288 calipers have banjos. Golf/Corrado 280s have regular MK2 srcrew-in connections.

280 carriers will bolt to your 16V hubs. it was a common conversion in the mid 90s.

In relation to where the rigid lines come out in the inner arch etc, the Corrado VR6 is exactly the same as the Golf in that respect.

Only the 288 calipers have banjos. Golf/Corrado 280s have regular MK2 srcrew-in connections.

280 carriers will bolt to your 16V hubs. it was a common conversion in the mid 90s.

that's the odd thing, I've got one caliper and carrier off an 8v 2L mk3 gti (which looked bog standard to me, the carrier took a good crack with a strong arm to remove - everyting looked factory original to me) and the caliper has a banjo fitting.

Looking on ETKA it seems as though the VR6 corrado changed it's brake part numbers late in the chassis numbers as both caliper and carrier change (to the mk3 numbers) but on 280mm disks, not 288, they're all different again.

Another odd thing is the caliper has a retaining spring (288mm style) but as I said, I can't see this old M reg 8v has had 288's fitted, should've measured the old disk!, it's probably still lying where I dropped it.

The late Corrado VR6 part number for hoses changes to the longer 435mm 1H0 number too. chassis no. 50-N-000001 >>

As I've got one caliper and carrier now I guess I'll just have to strip my drivers side down and offer everything up.

Anyone got an old G60 disk I can have to check it all fits :)

You should be able to tell if its 288 or 280 by the size of the pads that will fit in.

so which hoses do you have on your 288 setup, aren't the long golf 3 ones too long for the C?

I used the ones it suggests in the 312mm set up, goodridge ones (banjo), as I had to put my speedos back on and the calipers are the same for the 288s and the 312s.

Mk2 -> Mk4 Goodridge hose kit

I've got callipers and carriers from a Mk3 Golf in a breakers, they have screw in fittings (drilled & tapped hole in the calliper) which is identical to the original 256mm 16v callipers.

I'm using these on a 280mm G60 (4 stud) disc with G60 pads. Originaly I had the old rubber flexi hoses, then later I changed to Goodridge ones.

I've got callipers and carriers from a Mk3 Golf in a breakers, they have screw in fittings (drilled & tapped hole in the calliper) which is identical to the original 256mm 16v callipers.

I'm using these on a 280mm G60 (4 stud) disc with G60 pads. Originaly I had the old rubber flexi hoses, then later I changed to Goodridge ones.

really odd then, I can only assume I've picked up a 288mm caliper from a 2L 8v :roll:

really odd then, I can only assume I've picked up a 288mm caliper from a 2L 8v

I was under the impression that MK3 GTI's both 8v and 16v were 280mm, and VR6's were 288mm. My calipers and carriers were on a GTI, definately not a VR6.

really odd then, I can only assume I've picked up a 288mm caliper from a 2L 8v

I was under the impression that MK3 GTI's both 8v and 16v were 280mm, and VR6's were 288mm. My calipers and carriers were on a GTI, definately not a VR6.

not quite, they were all 280 up to about 1995 when the vr6's went to 288's.

David, the 288 Calipers are bigger and pads are much bigger...

As for Banjo hoses get a Goodridge kit from GSF for a late mk3 VR6 (£45 less CCGB discount plus Vat)

Only problem is you can't get 288mm discs in 4 stud fitment