Sign in to follow this  
tonedef

Pollen Filter

As my climate control install comes towards completion (I hope) I was wondering what pollen filter was installed in Corrados with a/c or which one people have used when retro fitting? Or do I just have to search scrapyards for something that looks close?

Cheeers,

The Diavia system on mine, which was the standard retro fit, does not have a pollen filter.

I have a 94 Passat (non-A/C) which does. Maybe you could cobble something together with parts from a scrapper. It fits in the scuttle area near to the wiper motor. Its quite a big filter housing though.

Best wishes

RB

Strange time fo year to be asking about pollen filters!

As with everything on a C... better to start early I guess :lol:

I was thinking about fitting some kind of filter over the winter months myself. Just not sure about what fits. I seem to remember somebody posting on one that fits though. Must have a search about for that...

Already info on these if you search - very tight fit but works a treat, no hayfever for me and the glass inside does not seem to need cleaning ...

The pollen filter could not have been an easier install, it's a tight fit and it's sure not going to fall off but it would probably take all of ten minutes from start to finish even if the plenum was full of leaves!

When installing, I found it easier to slide the filter over the grill from the ECU side rather than from the engine side.

Whats the rope for???

It's holding the drive shaft up, I only just put the engine back together and gearbox in yesterday. :p

So does this filter clip over the grill then??

I seemed to think that it went inside.

And is this the area to silicon around? (I've heard that it often leaks from this location)

Whitedog Yes, just clips straight over the grill under the scuttle, left hand side. Not sure about silicon sealing although I might have to look into that later, if it leaked before it wouldn't have mattered considering how much junk gets through the grill and sprays at you through the dash vents!

Phil K It seems to be pretty free flowing, not actually run anything yet. I'll not be able to tell the difference as I've a whole new fan etc fitted now for the climate control since the last time I used the car.

I've put one on mine and it doesnt seem to restrict the air flow too much, mind you my air flow was pretty crap to start with!

It went black after one month...just goes to show how much gunk would have gone into my lungs if I hadn't bought it!

Does anyone know how to clean them?

I thought they were disposable items, hense why they show up on service lists?

Therapor, I think he's on about a Jetex one tho, same as I have...

Yeah mines the same - also notice you don't have to clean the inside of the windscreen now either....

Thought about cleaning mine under a tap as I do K&N's but don't want to damage it's ability to catch pollen...

would it be worth fitting one of these if you dont have a/c? As a hayfever sufferer it would be great in the summer - I'll just have to boil in the car though...

Yeah mines the same - also notice you don't have to clean the inside of the windscreen now either....

Thought about cleaning mine under a tap as I do K&N's but don't want to damage it's ability to catch pollen...

Yep I was talking about a Jetex one.

And mine doesnt have A/C either! :)

how about just soaking it in Bio washing liquid, that stuff is great, I've used it on my dyson fine dust filters which seem like a similar material to the pollen filters.

I've just put one on, cut up from a MKIV Golf active carbon.

Cut it a bit oversize, tape the edges to stop the carbon granules coming out and push it inside add a bit more tape to seal the edges. Not really a permanent thing, more of a trial to see how much difference it makes.

It's pretty good, especially when following a smokey diesel. Must come up with something a bit more permanent now (without the tape!).