Sign in to follow this  
ewang33

Which Supercharger?

I've just sealed a deal on a G60. Well chuffed (I think). Trouble is, it needs a new charger. I haven't removed the thing yet, but it looks pretty bad! See pic >>

I'm not sure which charger to go for though.. the options (as far as I can see):

• G-werks (Hi Darren) can supply a brand new unit, fully rebuilt, with a good guarantee for the best part of a grand.

• L&S Cartec are selling new units on eGay for around 700 bucks, 1 year guarantee. As far as I can make out (translated badly) they sound pretty good.

• Again on eBay, there's a fully working second hand charger, removed to make room for a turbo conversion. I've emailed for more info.

• Or, buy a charger (eBay) that needs a rebuild, for the second time. Has been flowed to stage 4 by Jabba.

This is my first G60 so I'm not 'up' on all the different pulleys, chips, double belts etc etc.. I'm thinking I need to get it running in it's standard form first.

What would you do?

Cheers

Ewan

The damage:

:::::::::::::::::::::::

IMG_7490.jpg

IMG_7489.jpg

I bought a charger from ebay that was working for £300 then shipped it to

g-werks for a check to be on the safe side.

Ive seen the 1 jabba 1 on egay,needing oil seals? Id prob buy that then get g-werks to rebuild as buying a new 1 then getting it stage 4 will cost truck loads

ewang33, just bare in mind that the whole intake system will need to be cleaned and the engine checked for debris as well as fitting a new charger...

Engine looks fairly standard which isn't a bad thing but also budget to replace those original parts that wear out at this point in time...

If the charger has been neglected then also check there is nothing else major on the car that needs imediate attention

I hope it's cheap!

Eeewww, the usual secondary shaft hole. Probably a later G-Lader with a rubber seated eye, in which the secondary shaft is located. Those were meant to absorb any wobble in the shaft, but alas did give a few times, too, with the damage as shown in your piccie.

As Supercharged said, make sure there is no debris in the boost pipes, intercooler, throttle-body, intake manifold.

Best to fit a metal sieve in the boost pipe which prevents any future debris caused by charger explosions to get into the engine. It may cost you 5 bhp, though, as I found out on Vince's RR at Stealth.

L&S Cartec are a reputable company over in Germany. Quite a few of my Germ,an G60 mates deal with that company.

I would personally not buy a 2nd hand charger off ebay. 2nd hand yes, but as long as you know the previous owner well (like I did, when I bought mine to keep as a spare), which you often don't with bay sellers.

Tempest

chazG60 has a spare charger that he's going to have rebuilt at G-werks before selling. It might be worth sending him a PM about it because he's situated in Cardiff which could save you on postage

good work walesy ewan me thinks walesy had hit the nail on the head for ya! see how much chaz wants for it then get modding! glad you've gone g60! you should of got a white one thou lol!

p.s mate defo check engine intake for shrapnel! also did the fella stop straight away after it happened? or did he drive it home?

Whats the mileage dude!

Andy

Cheers for the info all. 8)

The plan is to garage it for a few months and get the work done. All the charger related pipes will come off to be checked yes, I may even take the head off (if money allows). Whats the price on a top end gasket set these days?

I'm a bit reluctant to buy a charger that needs a second refurb. How many times can they be done? And is there anything that can be done to prolong the life other than 'not' booting it up the road everyday? Didn't VW guarantee the factory charger for 60k. Why do refurb units only last 40k with all new seals and modified internals? Sorry I'm sure this has been discussed a million times on here before.

I just hope the rest of the engine is in good order. The mileage is 34k! (yes 34,000 original miles) and it's been checked. Seems to have spent half it's life in one little village. Again, in my experience this doesn't do the engine any good. Like the valver they need a few good long drives to keep everything nicely oiled.

I'll PM chazG60 now

40k is a safe bet , meaning the charger should be able to be rebuilt again to near new condition...if you run it over theres a chance certain bits can be damaged/worn that are then beyond repair

is there anything you can do to prolong the life?? yes , regular oil changes , regular air filters either vag or a quality panel filter ..and NEVER hit the rev limiter. you can also diy change the small toothed belt every year or so

ewan will you ever want more power from it if so put that into the equation now get your chip smaller pulley and staged charger done as it will work out alot more in the long run.

i.e if you re new charger you will of spent £500 then if you want it staged at a later date with rebuild will coat u the best part of £900

as for re-builds i dont think it matters how many times they get done unless its grenaded like your current!

give it a spray every few weeks with some ptfe lube from g-werks too that will keep it all nice!

ewan will you ever want more power from it...

Well like with the valver, my intention was to keep it pretty much standard. But you know, the head gasket goes, the exhaust falls off and you end up replacing things that are better than oem. So like wise yes, I'll probably end up wanting a little more power in the G60.

Whats considered safe to do? Chip and pulley are hidden away and look original. Yet big F off FMIC's mean major front bumper mods. Also, not knowing first hand, the state of the engine, although the history looks pretty good, I don't want to go over the top just yet.

Chip and uprated 'standard' SMIC sounds good to start with.

mate chip and pulley to 68mm wont change appearance at all! this is a good reliable mod for 190bhp! and with the anti lag sns chip this is very good

and as for the FMIC if you use the golf g60 hardly any front bumper modification at all mate but i wouldnt worry if you gonna keep it cool for a while!

maybe a good idea is to take the charger off put a cone air filter on the end or the charger outlet and start her see how sweet shes running/ticking over do your normal changes air filter oil filter oil fuel filter maybe plugs and leads if you want!

then see how she is and then go from there the 8v block is very solid as u prob know so hopefully shell be all fine for you mate!

then if she is all fine then consider what you want

andy

fit a BBM charger, more power and they are bullet proof, dont need to be serviced sounds good, (i.e not too loud) and are cheap considering a rebuild is going to cost you nearly £400 every two years or so..

fit a BBM charger, more power and they are bullet proof, dont need to be serviced sounds good, (i.e not too loud) and are cheap considering a rebuild is going to cost you nearly £400 every two years or so..

arent they the ones that sieze up?? my mate had some wierd charger that was loud as hell and it siezed up

think they only seize up when running silly sized pulleys....im running the stanard pulley on mine and its still on 1 bar boost...same as when i was running a 65mm toothed pulley.

oh and they are not loud at all, no louder than a G60 charger in my opinion, just sounds different.

there was one guy on dubforce who had a dodgy secondhand charger (lysholm) that had been messed with inside that seized. but generally if you dont run smaller than 50mm puley youre fine and going very fast!!

Just won one on eGay. I literally just pressed buy and chaz G60 PM'd me offering his for the same price. Would have prefered to buy off a member. The guy from eGay sounds honest enough fingers crossed. From North London. Said he's always to buzy to post on here :roll:

£310. Was running well before being removed to make way for a turbo conversion. On about 70k never been refurbed. I'll send it straight over to G-werks for a refurb I think. So you reckon 68mm pulley and chip will be safe?

I did consider a BBM. But I'd rather keep this one more or less standard to start with.

see what happens... :-P

I've just sealed a deal on a G60. Well chuffed (I think). Trouble is, it needs a new charger. I haven't removed the thing yet, but it looks pretty bad! See pic >>

I'm not sure which charger to go for though.. the options (as far as I can see):

• G-werks (Hi Darren) can supply a brand new unit, fully rebuilt, with a good guarantee for the best part of a grand.

• L&S Cartec are selling new units on eGay for around 700 bucks, 1 year guarantee. As far as I can make out (translated badly) they sound pretty good.

• Again on eBay, there's a fully working second hand charger, removed to make room for a turbo conversion. I've emailed for more info.

• Or, buy a charger (eBay) that needs a rebuild, for the second time. Has been flowed to stage 4 by Jabba.

This is my first G60 so I'm not 'up' on all the different pulleys, chips, double belts etc etc.. I'm thinking I need to get it running in it's standard form first.

What would you do?

Cheers

Ewan

The damage:

IMG_7490.jpg

IMG_7489.jpg

I think you have our pricing slightly confused here -

Brand New VAG units @ £980.

2nd hand fully warrantied units from £625.00

I wouldn't by one of ebay (without prior inspection) as we have ended up with far to many expensive paperweights in the past.

Regards D

there was one guy on dubforce who had a dodgy secondhand charger (lysholm) that had been messed with inside that seized. but generally if you dont run smaller than 50mm pulley youre fine and going very fast!!

That was me and no it wasnt messed with before I bought it, I was running stupid pulley sizes though, the are not indestructable, take a look at the vortex forum there are a few people on there that have had them seize the proble is the tolerances on them are so fine.

They are very good chargers however but dont like being overdriven much like any charger, or turbo

I wouldn't by one of ebay (without prior inspection) as we have ended up with far to many expensive paperweights in the past.

Regards D

A bit of a risk I realise now :oops:

Fingers crossed this one will be ok. I won't leave feedback until G-werks have had a look of course. How much am I looking at roughly for a refurb please?

Looking at the pic of mine.. is this now a big paperweight? Can any internals be salvaged if this eGay one is crap?

take a look at the vortex forum there are a few people on there that have had them seize the proble is the tolerances on them are so fine.

this only equates to a small % of the people who are running them, most people seem to buy them and have no issues at all, so ok maybe i was a bit hasty in saying indestructable, but in my view they are more reliable and give better results (even in standard form) than a G Lader would with everything done on it.... plus they dont need rebuilding every 20k!

Bit late now.... I have an L&S cartec charger and have been running it on a 68mm pulley for 20,000 miles with no issues.

I brought it cause I thought it was the cheapest option - but looking at whats been posted I dont think it was any cheaper than G-werks. :oops: