Sign in to follow this  
ilovemycar

what do I use to stick on badges?

Some accursed chavs nicked the badges from my car - I have a new set for the back. Where the "supercharged" one used to go there is some foam/sticky stuff left, should I leave this on? What do I stick the new badges on with? Presumably this kind of theft might hapen again, so I don't want to put them on with anything that will rip the paint off if they are taken off again. Any advice?

If you go to a car bodyshop they will have the tape which is like the foam stuff. Just cut it to shape and your in business.

Remove all the old stuff left on the car with a hairdryer.

Golden rule is dont use superglue. If you do and someone has the badges away they will take half the paint with it.

I got my double sided foam tape at Maplins.

As above, heat old foam/glue with hair dryer and scrape off with plastic/wooden implement.

Clean paint surface where badge will go with a trace of thinners on a cloth. Also wipe back of badge clean with same cloth.

Remove protective backing from one side of new tape that has been cut to length of badge.

Stick new tape to back of badge.

Use a thin craft knife blade to trim surplus tape from around letters/numbers. (I got a set of blades and knife from Stationery Box for abot 3 or 4 quid.)

Remove backing tape from second side and carefully apply badge to clean paint surface.

I usually heat badge a bit with hair dryer after it has been located on car. Probably best to do that at this time of year.

Finally, apply pressure to badge to ensure good adhesion.

I used double sided "mirror tape" from B&Q, also used it to refit the bumpstrips on the drivers side so plenty strong enough for badges but wont take the paint if the chavs return.

Cheaper too....

ilovemycar wrote:

Now my neighbours will truly believe I have lost it when they see me hairdrying my car....

Believe me, there are loads of us doing it for various jobs on the car!

I inherited an old drier from my daughter and keep it in the garage for this type of thing.