Sign in to follow this  
mic_VR

Fuel Leak

Morning all

got up today, nice and early to meet the guys going to the RR day @ stealth only to get to my car and think... 'Is that my car that smells of fuel?'

And yes it is, top fuel line into the fuel rail has got a nice big crack in it, no doubt from where i was trying to sort stuff on the engine yesterday, and petrol everywhere! :(

Although i'll need to have a better look when its light (current time 6.48am) i was just wondering how hard these lines are to change?

Easy to change if absolutely stupid money for a piece of rubber pipe.

Feed 021 133 990 K £35.90

Return 021 133 988 K £35.90

You will need four hose clips, N 906 867 01 £0.69 each.

I´m having a similar issue!

When i start my G60 there is a massive fuel smell inside/outside the car.

I have inspected the fuel rail and the hoses aswell.

They seem to be OK, i cannot see any leaks at all!

I wonder what could be happening...

kongo127, check the pipe to the afterrun sensor, these leak onto the manifold so you might not se it...

To change it just use 8mm fuel pipe but make sure it's best quality stuff that will bend without kinking...

Had a good go at my leak today, changed the feed line and the clips (Cheers for the part numbers Crasher), fairly straight forward job although not a great deal of room to work in. Repairs seems to be good at the moment, smell of petrol has gone and hopefully now it won't catch fire on me or something!

OK, I've changed the fuel pipes on mine, and used jubilee clips at teh ends. However, the feed pipe on the fpr still seems to leak somewhat, despite tightening the jubilee clips as far as they can go. I was concerned that i may overtighten them, but whatever it is, it doesnt seem to stop the slight leak. Any ideas?

fla, are they the correct size jubilee's??

Either way they don't clamp the same all the way round on a small pipe so not ideal - re-use the OEM ones (or buy new ones)

Cheers Supercharged, will get hold of the VAG ones. Is there a part number to give to VAG as ours will no doubt not have any in stock?

Definately try to use the original ones, If you use Jubilee clips you run the risk of damaging the pipes as you tighten them and as Supercharged says, you don't get equal pressure all the way round on such a small pipe.

If you have trouble I think I have some spare original ones which I can dig out for you?

mic_VR, thanks for that, i'll take those clips if you have them. PM me a price please.

They'll be instock at VW - if they can't find them just ask for any fuel clips...

As Mic says the VW clamp at the right pressure all the way round so they are best to use really, they do wear out however and should be replaced say every other time they are touched...

part no. is either N10083401 or N0241222.... i think, and I'll have a look in my spares box to see what I've got.

IIRC The ones I got from VAG were about 80p each but you can probably get a whole set of them from halfords for about £2, the only downside is you'll have to go to halfords! I got a couple more than I needed because I'll need to use new ones when I change my fuel filter soon.

Hey guys,

I just changed out my old brittle fuel lines. I asked my mechanics. They've been working on VWs for 30 years and told me not to waste my money on those hard lines from the stealership. They just gave me some oem german high pressure fuel lines. The only difference is that these are not stiff like the stock versions so you have to use the clips as well a a few zip ties to keep them in place.

I've been using them for about a year now with no problems whatsoever. If you actually buy the hose from a mechanic, ask for german high pressure fuel hose. Its about $3 USD per foot. I used about 3 feet per line so a grand total of $18 USD will be plenty to replace the soft fuel lines going from the fuel rail to the hard lines.

Just a thought. Saved me a lot of money and they work perfect.

SLCKVR6, sounds promising, I've just patched mine up with VAG stuff but I like the idea of the fuel not spilling out everywhere!

Might have a hunt around and see what we can get in the UK. Anyone race their Corrado? What do you use?

SLCKVR6, sounds promising, I've just patched mine up with VAG stuff but I like the idea of the fuel not spilling out everywhere!

Might have a hunt around and see what we can get in the UK. Anyone race their Corrado? What do you use?

Its definitly promising! In fact it worked a lot better than I thought. I will post up some pictures of the install when I get home. Super easy to switch them out and saves you a ton of money.

OK, I've changed the fuel pipes on mine, and used jubilee clips at teh ends. However, the feed pipe on the fpr still seems to leak somewhat, despite tightening the jubilee clips as far as they can go. I was concerned that i may overtighten them, but whatever it is, it doesnt seem to stop the slight leak. Any ideas?

Rather than use jubilee clips, you should use proper fuel hose clips of the correct size. Fuel hose clips look like this:

fuel_line_clips.jpg

If you really want to buy the clips from VW, the part number is N 906 867 01 .

I resorted to two of these on the end of each hose, just to make sure.

I definitely wouldn't go paying VW £70 for a couple of rubber hoses though. You can get competition-grade stainless braided hoses for less than this.