Sign in to follow this  
Storm Warning

Changing springs for H&Rs?

Hi, Some time ago I bought a set of H&R RSS Clubsport Coilovers for my Storm. For various (lame) reasons I have never actually put them on. Having thought a little more about it I am a little worried that they will be unbearably hard.

What I am wondeirng is what differs on the RSS model from the "comfort" rated H&Rs. My thinking is that if I can change the springs if I am not too happy then I might aswell fit them. Otherwise I will probably try and sell them to buy some normal H&Rs as I don't want to wipe a load of money off the value of the RSS's by running them for a few miles.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don't think they do comforts any more? Think the RSS are the street coilies. And they ain't too hard mate, and we have terrible roads over here!

Yeah, I got RSS Clubsports.

Must admit, can be a bit crashy on worst roads, but fuck does it handle good :)

Think double6s has too?

Having said that, I dunno. The packaging said RSS clubsports, but I looked at the websie I bought em from and it says they are the standards.

I have looked up the codes on a H&R fact sheet and I am a little confused! It looks like the dampers are the same on the Standard and RSS, but they have different springs? hoping someone can shed some light on this.

PM'ed double-6s. he is thinking of getting something softer.

I am willing to take a punt on them if I could "economically" change the springs. Just not sure if I could take the hardcore handling ;-) on the other hand I only do 4k a year in it at the most and Cadwell is calling me back so perhaps I should fit them along with an oilcooler, big brakes and ARBs :-D

The old 'Comfort' spec are non-adjustable gas mono tube (bilsteins) at the front and regular damper at the back. 390lb springs front, 280lb rear.

RSS clubsport have the Bilstein PSS9 dampers (9 rebound adjustment points, factory preset bump) and 570lb front springs, and 400ish lb rear springs.

The RSSs are very hard. I found the regular non-adjustables (old Comforts) to be about the upper limit for an acceptable ride/handling compromise. They are extremely good.

I think the 'comfort' spec springs would work well with the RSS dampers, but you can get springs from most places cheaply, just match the 'comfort' spring rates.

My RSS dampers have no adjustment that I can see on the dampers. The PCS have the damping adjustment. Descriptions here: http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=H%26R&model=Coil-Over+RSS+Club+Sport

I will try and get some prices on different springs as a fall back option if I find them too hard. I also need to find some detailed spec sheets on the dampers to double check what I actually have :-)

Ah OK, they've changed all the naming around then. The PCS is the Bilstein PSS9 equivalent then.

Sounds like the RSS clubsports are just the 'Street' (old Comforts) kit with stiffer springs then!

The springs will have their rate printed on them - what do they say? I took mine off as while the C handled wonderfully, the springs were just too hard for road use below 60mph.

H&R did send me prices for a set of springs that matched the rates of their lowering springs though if you're interested?

If you're worried, I have a set of H&R lowering springs plus some (very) low mileage Koni T/A's I might be willing to P-Ex.

I will check them out and check the rates, I do recall that the dampers have unique RSS codes on them, similar to the normal damper codes but ending in CS (Club Sport i assume)

Mike I might be interested in that offer, what kind of p-ex are you thinking?. What I will do first is find out how different the dampers are and judge if it is practical to combine them with a softer spring and indeed what it would cost to do so.

I thought the RSS Clubsports used different dampers to the rest of the coilie range?

Mine are really really hard! They are a pain in the aerosol around town - but to be honest a large proportion of that is because of the rattles and squeaks from the rear of my rado. Without the rattles, the hard ride would be way less annoying.

And then you get on a decent road and they really do come alive. My car sticks to the road like a mo fo and it's possible to pull off some amazing high speed manouvers.

I think to be honest the Clubsports would be way too hard for most people, but I personally think the immense body control and feeling of solidness makes the discomfort well worth it.

The numbers on my H&R coilover springs don't correlate to a poundage rating.

I have 275lb springs on the front on mine now, and 200lb at the rear and that feels spot on for road use.

The numbers on the springs are something like........

Length (mm) Diameter (mm) Spring rate (in some jonny foreigner units of some sort)

Yeah, they're not straight forward, well, I didn't think so at least.....I'm easily confused :lol:

My Gaz springs just say "D65 9 275lb", or Diameter 65mm, 9" long, 275lb spring rate. Can't get any clearer than that ;-)