Sign in to follow this  
filofilsem

Audi 2.2 20VT transplant

Right, I've been considering buying another Corrado for a while now (I've owned a pair of G60's and a VR previous) but currently drive an ADU engine'd (RS2 spec) Audi S2 Coupé. I've still got the original ABY 230bhp motor sitting in my garrage and was wondering if a 2.2 20VT I5 swap was possible. I've seen them done longditudally in both Mk1 and Mk2 Golf's, and transversely in Rallyes and MK2's.

Anyone here ever attempted the swap before? Or am I safer just ripping off the KKK24 and fitting it onto a 2.0 16v?

Thanks.

I'd say it will almost certainly fit. Its how much of a ball-ache making it fit that counts though.

Sounds like a good project to me :)

I'd modify the firewall / transmission tunnel and fit it North-south if it were me...... just to keep it as Audi intended.....or even do what Dubweiser did with their green MK1 and North-south it + RWD 8)

Great engine!

I'd modify the firewall / transmission tunnel and fit it North-south if it were me...... just to keep it as Audi intended.....or even do what Dubweiser did with their green MK1 and North-south it + RWD 8)

Great engine!

I was actually thinking, I've got a spare ABY 6-speed box, diffs and could get driveshafts. The S2 is roughly the same lenth as a 'Rado. Proper Quattro drive and North/South arrangement in something much lighter than the S2, and tighter handling.

Only problem I can forsee with that is Rear Wheel Steering. Hmm.

Right, having looked at the ways people have done similar things in Golfs, I think I've sussed what I'm going to do...

>North-South mounted engine + ABY 6-speed 'box. Possibly KKK26/27/29 Hybrid turbo.

>Cut-down Quattro drive with Torsen diff (any users with Haldex or Synchro drive is it possible to PM me some underside shots, so I can figure out how much clearance I'll have without putting the car on ramps?)

>I'm aiming to modify the front end a little, probably use a modified S2 lower bumper extended to fit and with a VR6 splitter mounted on it. May also use S2 lighting/RS2 Bi-Xenons.

I think the biggest problem right now is mounting the engine, and finding out if there's enoguh space for ancilleries and the box mounted North-South without having to cut too much of the floorplan to pieces. I know the transmission tunnel's gotta go but I'm none too phased about that, I'll find a way of doing it.

Now I just need a 'Rado with decent bodywork to get me started.