Sign in to follow this  
JMC

New Christmas project

New toys have arrived from Audioscape - 8 sheets of Skinz sound deadener, some of the prep spray for the metal work, Rhino Skinz door kit (to replace the moisture barrier), moisture guard to go behind the speaker (acoustically transparent moiture barrier), and the wave diffuser to go on the outside skin of the door behind the speaker. Thought it was about time I did the doors as I've already done the boot, rear quarters, under the rear seat, some of the floor and firewall.

Looks like it could be a fun Christmas after all :D :D

very nice, good luck on the install ;)

Thanks Corradokid135, been putting off doing the doors given the level of hassle involved in prepping and using the sound deadening on the outside skin of he door. But I feel it is now time to do it properly....

This product made a huge differance to our project golf Jonathan. Its a great product

Cool, look forward to getting it all done Darren. Just wish I had a nice warm garage to work in now.....

done the boot, rear quarters, under the rear seat , the doors make the biggest difference imo

sound deadened the inner skin and the outer nearest the door card and then put neoprene on the inner and rain stop guards at the rear of the speakers ..all from jim at audioscape

done the boot, rear quarters, under the rear seat , the doors make the biggest difference imo

sound deadened the inner skin and the outer nearest the door card and then put neoprene on the inner and rain stop guards at the rear of the speakers ..all from jim at audioscape

Just out of interest how much of a pain is it to put the sound deadening on the outer skin of the door (i.e. reaching through the holes on the inner skin) - I get the feeling it is not easy to get at, especially with all the electric window gubbins.....

its not as bad as you would think but its a knuckle scaper :-) i heated my sound deadening with a paint stripper gun so it stuck on contact and then flattened it with a small roller, the type you use on wallpaper joins, its easier buliding smaller pieces into a jigsaw effect due to the small gap in the door but you getting a satisfying "clunk" from the door when your done ..sounds quality !

this was when i'd done most the inside ..

Cheers Gixxeruk, got the feeling it would be a bit of a scraper. Might be a good time to invest in a heat gun as well - especially trying to do it at this time of year. Looking forward to the solid "clunk" on closing the doors....

JMC, i bought a heat gun for the job mate , think it was £8 from b&q .. bargain , just sticks better and makes it more flexible

Had a fun afternoon working on this. Stripped the door, removed the old moisture barrier, actually removed the factory sound deadening sheet from the door, as there were more air pockets behind it than there were bits attached. So after copious cleaning of the metalwork (and cuts and scrapes to knuckles and hands) the Skinz went in on the outer panel, followd by the Wave Diffuser sheet behind the speaker and a load of neoprene over the rest of the Skinz.

Then I tried using the Rhino Skinz where the moisture barrier should go. Nasty, nasty stuff. Maybe it wasn't warm enough when I used it, but it cracked and split, and did it's best to ruin my afternoon. Anyway, eventually got it done and everything sounds very nice now. The door gives a good "thunk" on closing and the speaker sounds good. All I need now is another spare day to do the other door :roll: