Sign in to follow this  
Mave

1.8 16v Oil help

Right, the main reason the car didn't go today was because there's too much oil running in car, now I've not put any oil in since the head gasket was done because they do it themselves. I've also only done about 20miles on the new headgasket.

Any ideas, or have the garage simply put too much oil in?

Cheers.

davidwort, how'd I go about doing that?

Get a long straw down the dipstick tube?

perhaps I'm missing something???

just get a drain pan or washing up bowl etc, under the sump and undo the sump plug, as long as you do it when the engines not hot, you'll easily be able to turn the last few threads by hand and gently remove the plug a few mm to let a bit of oil out. Might trickle up your arm though :)

Lol.

You might want to get a dipstick tube thats not broken too. I also thought that the oil in the engine was quite black considering it should have had new oil. also i thought it was too thin. Best get some silver synta oil and put 4l in having drained off the old stuff. Then it may not be chucking the stuff out of the exhaust.

The other thing was that the whole engine seemed to be dripping in oil, that could have been down to the garage muppets spilling it everywhere.

I have to say, if you spent 800 quid on a headgasket, the garage does not look as if they took much care doing it. I thought that you may have been ripped off.

I'll have a go at emptying the sump and putting some silver synta oil. Then see what the results are..

Oh yeah, I've just remembered where that oil come from, a while back I forgot to put the cap on properly after filling up :oops: Sure I made a post on here..

Don't worry, it's not being broken now! :)

Will sort this out and give the bay a good clean.

You know, when I was sat in the car waiting for rustynuts, I was really having seconds thoughts.

Just depends wether I get this job or not now mate.

Well if you do sell it, make sure you give it a good prep beforehand.

As for keeping it, well there seems a lot that needs to be done.