Sign in to follow this  
corradostuff

Coolant Explosion!!

Had a little problem this morning. Driving along, the coolant light came on and the heater turned cold. I pulled over and opened up the bonnet and the overfill pipe had come off the expansion tank and the tank was shooting water and coolant all over the place! Must have lost at least 2 or 3 litres.

I think I need a new expansion tank lid cos mine is the old black type, new ones are blue right? Could this be what caused the pipe to shoot off?And I'm going to need to do a coolant change as well I guess. But can I top up with water and ordinary coolant now so I can get home? I know you should use G12 but I can't get any right now and need to get home tonight but its a 30 mile drive and I don't want to screw the engine.

Also will the coolant and water have done anything bad to the rest of the engine? Everything was completely soaked in it?

I think I need a new expansion tank lid cos mine is the old black type, new ones are blue right?

They are blue indeed, unsure whether that would cause the problem.

I personally think ordinary water will be fine until you can get some G12.

The coolant wont really do any harm so long as your electrics arent soaked, if they are theyll need to dry out otherwise the car probably wont start.

Thanks Goldie. I've ordered a new cap from VW now.

Guess how much the overspill pipe from the top of the expansion tank to the top of the radiator costs? £62 + VAT :shock: for a 1 metre bit of rubber pipe!! think I'll be heading to the wanted section for that!

Wow thats expensive!!

Second hand mate would be the road id go down otherwise you might want to think about getting samcos!!

you can get a suitable replacement for g12+ from halfords or partco its called OAT (organic acid technology) coolant and looks identical to the pink g12+ from vw.