Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

Fastest FWD

Was speaking to a guy about my Corrado the other day and he informed me that at the time it was the fastest FWD car (as standard) in the world, i assume he means top end.

Ive sat and tried to think of a quicker one but cant.

Anyone got any ideas??

think it depends on whether you go by VW figs or EVO mag's figs,tho he's possibly right as most of the comparable accl/top speed motors at the time were either 4WD or RWD

What about the Elan? Or whatever it was called, that was FWD. Surely that was quicker than the Corrado?

But yeah, it'd be up there somewhere.

Well it was certainly the quickest production VW at the time.. i'm sure there must have been something else out there?

I think it does show that it was an incredibly capable car for its time as Top Gear still bang on about modern 200BHP+ hot hatches being able to hit 140MPH and I sit there thinking that the Corrado VR has been able to do that (and then some!) for years! :)

The only one I can think of that was quicker was the Alfa GTV V6 at over 150mph, and although it came out after the Corrado production ended the Fiat Coupe 20vT could do over 154mph.

(Lotus Elan 1.6T top speed is about 137mph)

Yeah kinda depends if you mean fastest accelerating (0-60 mph) or fastest top speed FWD car of the era.

I asked him that and he said top end speed.

For 0-60 sprints there will obviously be quite a few that could out do it. (Even then i cant think of loads that would ).

Mave, can i ask you a question and it may possibly be a daft q too?

Is you signature pic a model car? :lol:

The back looks like a full scale rado, but the front looks like a model. Oh and going by the size of the car in the background incomparison to yours, makes it look tiny.

Critical_Mass, you're not the only one to think that, g60greeny thought it was too!

But alas, it's not a model, I just half blurred the top half to give the "small-model" effect.

Here's the full pic to prove :-P

There were a few American FWD cars with big engines etc that could exceed 140mph, can't remember their names though.

Interestingly America were the first country to mass produce FWD cars and also road cars with turbos, not Europe ;-)

Some nice comments about the C VR6 under 'performance' in a review of the time 8)

Edit- mmm doesn't open too well in the browser window- maybe save the file and view in windows picture viewer- its a nice read