Sign in to follow this  
dom

cooling system

got a problem when stuck in traffic the c keeps springing leaks ,is this just a age of the hose problem so far i havereplaced 3 the fan is working i have had new radiator and thermo fitted

so....any ideas about these leaks? did any of the changed pipes have crack is and were in fact leaking? is it leaking from any of the pipe joins? is some of the system pressurized and the rest not?

Just a few things to get started on...

problems only arise when the car is stood in traffic it just seems to make pipes leak the pipes were fine to look at ,then all of a sudden it makes pipes leak don,t leak from joints its from the pipeits self like two pin holes :scratch:

the temp never gets no were near that so far it as just burst pipes once you start driving again temp drops

If temp is low could be an intermitant sticking thermostat.

Check for water returning back to the top up tank when warm-remove top of tank

first or you may blow yer hand off !

getting heat from the heaters well drivers side that is passengers side not as good replaced the feed hose the temp is pushing around 100 c when in traffic fan not kicked in yet so i am thinking the fan may being temprmentle it used to work

well to rule out various things such as air in the system and sticking stats i think your next step is to drain down the system, replace the gauge temp sender, the rad fan switch and the thermostat. refill with G12 coolant (and water :wink:), oh and change the expansion tank cap for a blue on if you haven't done already.

All can be bought from http://www.vwspares.co.uk/ for not a lot of money.

okay cheers matey give that a go some time next week when i can get the parts :thumbleft:

I would bite the bullet and replace all old hoses. Possibly the culprits are the originals having done 145k miles?

Pinhole leaks suggests they are porous which could be due to deterioration thro' age. Even if they don't do this when you fix other things, they will always be a weak spot and will be liable to let you down in traffic when you least need it.

Extremely high pressure in parts of system may be due to things others have touched on.

PS

Coolant should be "G12 plus" coolant nowadays and do not fill with it until all previous stuff has been thoroughly flushed out.

You get it from any VAG dealer and it is not one of their outrageously expensive rip off items.