Sign in to follow this  
Mancorr

steering judder when turning right

My Raddo has a judder when going round a tight right hand corner or round a r.bout. It feels as though it wants to pull left, kinda slight juddering. She does not do this when turning left....any ideas or help? Also low speed drive feels unstable through feed from steering wheel....could this be related?

Dont know but i would get to a garage or wheel fitters pretty sharpish!

only ideas are wheel bearings and steering rack

Just tried that mate and its fine. Steering feels good and solid when turnining when stood still. Does not feel right when driving, kind of un-easy feeling....no solid feel if that makes sence? But going round a r.bout (thousands in Milton Keynes) obviously turning right it feels wobbly (i can feel it through the steering wheel and feel the front of the car is almost wanting to pull to the left?) but fine when going round a tight left handed corner

Any help/advice on this would be great

Thanks in advance :)

Get it jacked up, make sure everything is tight. When did it last get MOTed?

Thanks for your help so far on this mate :)

Just checked the MOT. It was carried out on Nov 17th so about 6 weeks ago. Thing is i dont know if you have seen my other post about brake pipe but i think it should have failed on that. Im no expert or car mechanic but that brake pipe thing looks dangerous and looks like it has been like it for some time.

Anyway mate, what do you reckon the steering could be down to?

6 weeks, is that all.

Thats not very long for the things youre mentioning to all come at once...

I'd definitely get it checked elsewhere, is there play in the wheels or grinding noises? Livin in MK aint gonna help, the amount of r'bouts there...

Mancorr, I'd keep going through Matt's list of 'does it do that'.

It could be an number of things if on the move:

- dodgy wheel balance, because a weight fell off

- dodgy tyre inflation

- big bit of rubber coming off the tyre on the edge, but unlikely.

- clipping the arch

- wheel weight clipping the brakes, but you'd notice that as soon as you bought the wheels/tyres/car

- wheel bearings going

- wheel isn't bolted on tight

- or most likely the drive shaft / joint, (wheel end) is on its way out as the rubber boot becomes cracked/perrished and lets water in. ******

hope that helps

As for the MOT, can you go back there to challenge them, once you've got a second oppinion? Bit too late now I guess. Presume the brake lines a perrished or buldging, rather than just looking old and dirty.

Thank you for that mate. Only had my Raddo for over a week, bought it on e.bay. The tyres look ok and wheels ok. All tyres are 195/50/15's. I dont know if this is anything to do with it but at speeds when brakes are applied the brakes make a horrible grinding noise and the car takes ages to stop!! I just felt the discs and there is a big lip around the outside??

I'd definitely get it checked elsewhere, is there play in the wheels or grinding noises?

There is a fair bit of play in the wheels mate.

Best of luck

Not sure of your car background, but simply put, the large lip on the discs mean they are largely worn and will need replacing. Pads are fairly cheap though.

Sounds like possible wheel bearing naffed up then. For a car like this, you need to get friendly with a local garage who knows what he is doing and will charge fair prices pending what work he's done. Took me a while to find my guy, as a few were willing to fit my exhaust for £20, whereas this guy was more than happy to help me out with other items since where his car lift has been required - at no charge.

It came down to a distorted right tyre. I took it to a tyre centre after the mechanic had charged me £40 for telling me this and they put a Yoko tyre on for £45. It feels better in a straight line but still not happy going round a r.bout. I called the mechanic up to tell him this, he said he checked the suspension and in his eyes it was all ok apart from distorted tyre....he did admit to not taking the car for a run.....surely he should have taken my car out?

i also have a very simular problem with mine and guess what i cot my c off ebay also ,mine had new tyres new pads and discs .

getting scary in the wet weather we are having , checked bearings all seems okay there,if you rest your foot on the clutch pedal can you feel it knocking slightly also when car stood still and you turn the wheel to the left get a cluncking noise don,t do it when turn to the left

.....surely he should have taken my car out?

Glad its fairly sorted. The rest of the problem could now be in your head; get a friend to dirve it. Otherwise go back through our checklist.

dom I presume you've looked at the previous page to this thread and will be willing to test the different ideas?

When you say 'clunking' I presume you mean on full lock whilst moving forward? Therefore sounds most likely the joint, at either end - signs of the rubber boot being cracked is a sure sign of this which means you'd need a new joint (not unusual for an old car). Hope That Helps (HTH). HOWEVER, having read your thread, you mention loss of handling etc, and therefore everyones comments about the bushes maybe true - get them checked.