Sign in to follow this  
easypops

headlight removal?

hi all, i'm trying to remove my headlights, easiest way to change the bulbs so it seems? did a search and found out that there are 3 screws to be removed, the first 2 are obvious but i cant see the third :oops:

all help much appreciated :)

It's down through the little round hole in the slam panel. You'll need a long posi screwdriver to get to it.

Its in the middle but at the bottom of the cluster, you need a long screwdriver to put down the hole. Shine a torch down there and you should see it :)

cheers guys, i'm away to give it a try.

lets hope no drilling......all tools packed away.....moving house soon :D

Yeah best of luck with that, hope they're not as bad as what mine were! Just make sure you use stainless.

If they are as bad let me know and i'll go through how i managed to get them out.....

hope its in good nick. I had loads a fun trying to drill the ones on my ol VR.

looks like your right :cry: storm-nut, the screws are rusty as f###. not killed them yet, i will soak them with wd40 for a while(probably about a week :D ) then try again when i have time to get drilling if needed

thanks for the guide guys.

did you get the vr yet cazza??

Problem is that even if you drill the heads of the ones in the hole you still cant lift the light out due to the screw acting like a stud through a fixing hole in the back of the light unit.

I had to drill the top of with quite large bit, get a screwdriver around the back of them and bend the brackets down that these screws go into.

Its a complete pain, why VW didn't use decent stainless screws in the first place is beyond me! it just turns yet another seemingly 5 min job into 5 hours!

5 hours!

I wish it had taken me that long!!

had to build a drill bit out of loads a odds n sods! Still I got there so.

Hopefully the wonderfull WD will ease your pain. I must admit it was one of the first things I checked on my new un. 8)

erm well they are possie & about an inch long.

Best bet is to whip yours out - :lol:

I whipped it out already :lol:

I was going to pop into b&Q on the way home, I was just being lazy seeing if anyone knew.

Mine came out fine, they were rusty. I might just kurust them and put some white grease on them and put them back.

Great, see there is no need to be shy is there? :lol!:

All I did was replace with a similar item from my local bolt bloke (bapp for bolts in Barnsley are great - yeah!!) Then just keep an eye on the little blighters! They also were given a good greacing - I do appologise for the smut its pretty much the tone of the day in my office!

If they are as bad let me know and i'll go through how i managed to get them out.....

Yes please. Mine are so bad they look like rivets :!:

have you guys looked into screw extractor sets? You can get them in most places and worth a go. Might save you some time. Snap on do a kit for about £50 but you can get them much cheaper.

have you guys looked into screw extractor sets? You can get them in most places and worth a go. Might save you some time. Snap on do a kit for about £50 but you can get them much cheaper.

I gave that trick a whirl with no joy :cry:

I feel your pain. Try ya best to clean em with wire wool & WD (I appreciate that there aint much room)

Other than that I am not sure so thats why I reached for the drill :twisted:

I feel your pain. Try ya best to clean em with wire wool & WD (I appreciate that there aint much room)

Other than that I am not sure so thats why I reached for the drill :twisted:[/quote:58737]

Drill may be the best option. Did you use an extra long drill bit?

I made up a bit using a "flexy" extension I got in a leccy srewdriver. It was more bodge than master craftsman but worked very well.

Sorry not to be much more help - its just time to go A Team with ya tools = )

nocrap - what did you do?