Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Shops that sell silicone belt dressing?!

Any thoughts? I've got some really annoying 'chuffing' sort of noises from my belts (PAS or alternator I guess!) that I can't bear any more so want to pick up silicone belt dressing just to temporarily silence them, until I can get around to replacing them all with nice new ones.

I looked around and there are a few online suppliers that sell it but i'd love to be able to just go to a shop on Saturday and pick some up.

Does anybody have any ideas who sells this stuff? Halfords don't appear to - had a good look around and couldn't find any.

Do you think Machine Mart are likely to sell it mate? Just trying to think of stores fairly local to me that I actually know of! :)

lol! Well its also partly just to ensure that its not my waterpump on its way out or something :) If I can squirt some of that on the belts to see if it shuts em up then I don't need to worry - but I will be fitting new belts! Honest! :)

Yeah I saw that auction mate - couldn't help but laugh at someone who'd sell a half used can of the stuff! As I say though, would ideally just like to go somewhere and buy some on Saturday, rather than having to wait on and pay for postage! :)

JJB is novel! Will try there if I get stuck!

I rang round a few places in Cov (motor factors, etc) and they all sounded really confused on the phone and said that they do multipurpose sprays like WD40 but 'nothing like that sort of stuff' - is it just Coventry or something? We were a city of automotive excellence once but every time I try and do things with my car in this city, I just end up drawing a blank!

Is it just Coventry or something? We were a city of automotive excellence once but every time I try and do things with my car in this city, I just end up drawing a blank!

and then the war ended.. ;)

You could try anything that is safe for rubber with a high silicone content - any sex shops in Cov?

Failing that Autoglym vinyl and rubber care might work ok.

Its ok - I just got off the phone to a really really helpful guy who was associated with a Fork Lift / industrial branch of a large suppliers called Wyko. I picked his number off a list of contacts as he was most local to me in Warwick!

He told me that they sell Rocol products in their retail shops (was led to Wyko from the Rocol website), and Rocol do a number of good products for autmotive applications (amongst other things!) such as PTFE Grease and the all important silicone belt dress, and that they've got an appropriate branch in Coventry. Gonna take a meander over there tomorrow morning.

And they say customer service is dead in this country - the guy was really top bloke.

(And yes, i'm intentionally ignoring the sex shop comment Yan.. though Coventry does have its fair share. Apparently.) ;)

i'm sure that g-works sell stuff called tiger grip, its known as being the best stuff for stopping belt slippage, give darren a shout Jim.

Too late! Already gone to pick up the Rocol stuff. Gave the belts a quick squirt in the car park and seemed to make the noise worse.. brilliant.. but not driven the car again yet all day. Going out later so will see if its any different, but must really look at getting new alternator and PAS belts ASAP.

Too late! Already gone to pick up the Rocol stuff. Gave the belts a quick squirt in the car park and seemed to make the noise worse.. brilliant.. but not driven the car again yet all day. Going out later so will see if its any different, but must really look at getting new alternator and PAS belts ASAP.

I bought some to use on customers cars at work and i found that it made the noise a lot worse !!!!!

Sorry i didnt tell you sooner.

Heh.. well I had another go with it today as it was the same sort of noise this morning when I got it out of the garage to wash it.

So gave it a bit of a blast with the dressing - no different. Bit more of a blast and it suddenly changed to an awful metallic sounding whine! Aimed the can a bit better right into a spot at the base of the PAS pulley and gave a quick squirt and instantly shut up. Just the sound of the engine running. Don't think i've heard it that quiet in some time as the belt noise has been there for ages now.

Revving it, it gives a sort of whistle / whine now similar to that you get sometimes when you've just had new belts fitted but that usually wears off quite quickly so hoping this will too!

Could be a bearing but i'd see how it goes Jimbo...

If it comes back then buy new belts (cheap as chips on a 16) and check the pulley's when they're off...

Yeah.. gonna be getting belts ASAP. Would be a good test of my tools that my parents got me over christmas, fitting a few belts!

What tools did you get dude?

I just ordered a couple of bits from metalnerd.com - a magnetic sump plug and a wheel locator tool - $23.75 inc postage translates to £12.10 - lol!

Got loads of stuff to start me off! A really hefty good quality torque wrench, huge ring spanner set, some Irwin bolt grippers, socket set (that has all sorts of attachments, etc in there), screwdrivers, allen keys, normal spanners, and a nice red three draw Clarke tool chest to put it all in. May not be the highest grade of tools possible but theres a really good selection for me to be able to start doing some basic jobs :)

Need to get a trolley jack and some axel stands now!

Yeah well my old man is into his cars as you know (mentioned the old Daimler a few times) so he just pottered down to Machine Mart and picked up a load of bits! It was really good of him!

Yeah might have to look into a kit from Halfords! After pay day though! :)

I wanted to bring out the Rado! Plus it needed a run as it had been garaged for a while but Dad was certified 'all clear' by the docs after his heart attack not long before so he took it out for a run on the Saturday.

Will bring it next time, definately :)