Sign in to follow this  
belfastfumanchu

Clutch price diff. HUGE!!

I went into my local volkswagen dealers today to get a price for a new clutch for my 1.8 16v KR. He tapped up the details into the computer and said they cost 260.00 quid !!!!!

So I phoned up German/Swedish and they are selling them (made by LUK) for 65.00 quid + v.a.t !!

I asked both VW & German/Swedish what is the difference between the clutches and they both told me there isn't any.

Can someone tell me their opinions on a clutch supplied by German/Swedish....is it going to be a good/reliable as a genuine VW one?

What is the difference if there is any?

That VW price is wrong, even the three parts on there own wouldn't add up to that...

You need 037198141DX which is £125 +vat (£95ish trade)

I reckon the VW one will be better (the VR6/G60 ones certainly are) but if it's a standard car I'd be tempted to try a GSF one at that price...

I've had a GSF clutch in my '90 valver with no probs what so ever for the last 6-7 years and 70-oddK miles

colin saw you bought one of those scuttle covers on a gb any good

The VR6 one from VW is half Sachs and half LUK, a winning combination it would seem. I paid £120 for one and it was perfect.

yep the LUK friction discs seem better than the sachs ones,, i have seen a few sachs rip their centers out,, i am using a LUK VR6 clutch from GSF on my tuned G60 at the mo and have been for about 2 years now,,

£300 inc parts and labour and VAT, maybe. It's a 3 hour job by all accounts, so most places that's at least £150 labour.

Sorry to thread-jack, gunna be changing my G60's clutch soon and was wondering if i'm up grading to the vr clutch do i just buy the full vr6 kit from vag and it's a straight swap from there?!

Yeah sorry ignore my "300.00" estimate. Must have been smoking something there.

I've been quoted around 160.00 for the labour, so I guess that's about right.

I'm gonna go with the GSF one by LUK probably. Think I'll stay clear of the Sachs modle though as I've read more bad than good about them.

SACHS/LUK, much of a muchness I'm afraid. They both have good days and bad days. The VW ones are the only ones worth paying a premium for, based on stuff I've heard.

One other question.

Does anyone know if there's a gaskett between the gearbox and engine? If there is I was thinking it would be a good time to replace it.

nope, there isn't