Sign in to follow this  
jonrb

OEM+ - what wheels to move from 15" to 16" on a VR

I've used Toyo Proxes T1-R on several of my cars including the Corrado and have been very happy with them.

Can't really comment on the others.

Interestingly, according to http://www.toyo.co.uk/tyresales.php, the Toyo R888 is available in 205/50 R15 but not 205/45 R16.

R888s are only available in stupid sizes like 205/55/16 - why!

The R888 sizes clinched it for me and last week I decided to run 15's for track days at the very least, so my spare set went off to the refurbishers on Friday and came back today.

I booked a set of R888s with http://www.blackcircles.com yesterday and they're being fitted tomorrow, ready for my track day on Tuesday.

Here's a pic of the alloys. I think they look rather nice in satin black for that motorsport look. :)

black_wheels.jpg

they look great. and like the Mo's I'm going to get. Trying to find out what ET I need to run AP's behind them. Want black too - actually your car reminds me of my own (in VR form). What tyre size did you go for?

Could you do 2 things mate? 1) Take a pic with the black speedlines on, and 2) tell me how you get on with the 15"s and R888's fitted on tuesdays track day please? Very interested indeed how you get on and how those look on your car!!

they look great. and like the Mo's I'm going to get. Trying to find out what ET I need to run AP's behind them. Want black too - actually your car reminds me of my own (in VR form). What tyre size did you go for?

Could you do 2 things mate? 1) Take a pic with the black speedlines on, and 2) tell me how you get on with the 15"s and R888's fitted on tuesdays track day please? Very interested indeed how you get on and how those look on your car!!

Thanks! I'm very pleased with them too. And you're right; they do look even more similar to the MO when in black.

The tyres are going to be 205/50 ZR15 - ie. totally standard VR6 size. Which is handy.

re: taking pics - no problem. Will do so tomorrow some time. I'm planning on letting the tyre fitters fit them to the car and I'll keep them on until after the track day at which point I'll switch back to the road wheels / tyres myself. Just hope we don't get any more of that extreme rain between now and then.

A few shots of the car wit the wheels/tyres on - then a few of the profile of the tyre/wheel would be superb :)

What trackday are you going to? Been in a golf with these tyres on and the owner was very pleased with them.

Castle Combe - a track I've driven about 3 times before but none in the past 8 years so I'm a bit rusty. :)

Here's mine with 16" RX

Are those the ones from the mk3 (7x16) or from the mk4 (6.5 x 16)? Im looking for a set of these, there are a few for sale from the mk4 but its the mk3 ones i want as i want 7j wide as i have tyres that will fit them.

Got the R888s fitted this morning.

Here's a photo as requested, but it's not brilliant because

a) It was taken with my phone rather than a proper camera

b) I haven't cleaned all the RimSeal off yet and

c) I haven't painted a set of centre caps black yet, so they're still silver at the moment.

But here it is:

black_wheels2.jpg[/attachment:7731a]

Here's mine with 16" RX

Are those the ones from the mk3 (7x16) or from the mk4 (6.5 x 16)? Im looking for a set of these, there are a few for sale from the mk4 but its the mk3 ones i want as i want 7j wide as i have tyres that will fit them.

Rob, Pauls are the "non-split" RX (not RXII) sold as one of BBS's stand-alone ranges and not (afaik) from any particular make or model. I think he got them from Darren at G-Werks but obviously most quality rim retailers will offer them. I think you can only get the 16" RXIIs second hand from the Golfs as BBS only sell them in 17" or higher as an independent range.

Cheers!

John

I thought that the classic 5-spoke Speedline (2110 I think it is) is not available in a 5 stud pattern suitable for the VR6?

Haven't read this whole thread as it seems to be about tyres now, but in case you didn't know, the 2110 speedline is available in 5x100, ET35 in 7x16" and 7x17".

Possibly the ultimate OE+ wheel imo.... http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=105514

Thanks Kev. The dealer I spoke to said that they were discontinued - despite still listing them on their website - and so I stopped pursuing that avenue. Hence the rest of this thread. :)

They most definitely ARE in production - brought back by popular demand apparently. We're talking literally over the past few weeks or so that this happened.

I was approached by the supplier linked above asking if I was interested as I expressed an interest ages ago, where I got the same answers you did.

I think the 7x17 is white only, but not a major issue repainting them. White has a motorsport feel to it and might look cool though!

If the information is only a few weeks old, Kev, then that would explain things as my information is several months old. :)

My car is midnight blue, but does look black when it's dirty. Which it is a lot. :)

The track day isn't until Tuesday.