Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

Spare tyre for MOT

Do you actually need a spare to pass the MOT? I got some of that tyre weld stuff instead and AA membership.......

I only ask cos my spare is in the boot cupboard gathering dust and I've just noticed my MOT has run out and I'm too lazy to put it back in. (Actually I pick up my car tomorrow from getting the windows repaired and thought I'd take it into a while-u wait place on the way home.)

some bmw's and minis dont have spares they have run flats , the vx220 doesnt have a spare you get a can of tyre inflator /sealer

so no , i've never had the tread checked on my spare at an mot , they have never checked for a spare either

GIX, I always thought it had to be road legal if it were in there. Your diag seems to say Tyres & Roadwheels - bit of a general statement, can that not also mean the spare (makes sense)?

StuartFZR400, hmm did you not actually scroll down ? or just look at the pic stu :-)

the line is a quote from there "The condition of the spare tyre is not part of the MOT. "

(Actually I pick up my car tomorrow from getting the windows repaired and thought I'd take it into a while-u wait place on the way home.)

Bear in mind that it is illegal to drive the car unless it is being taken to an MOT appointment, so it has to be booked in for the MOT not just going to a 'while you wait' place.

I am a tester and the spare is not part of the MOT unless its fitted to replace a wheel thats punctured etc,but the spare needs to be the same size and have the correct rotation.

Space savers will fail the test if fitted.

Space savers will fail the test if fitted.

can you actually get an mot with a space saver fitted on the car? i thought they were for emergency use only ?

wow - so if you take you car to an mot with a space saver on, it will fail, but a car with the spare on wont??? Why - whats the (legal) diff between the two wheels ?

Customers have come in with one space saver on and wanted an MOT and yes they are none the wiser that its for emergency use only and are amazed its failed

they're plonkers ! rodney :-)

wow - so if you take you car to an mot with a space saver on, it will fail, but a car with the spare on wont??? Why - whats the (legal) diff between the two wheels ?

Spare wheels fitted as standard can be the same as one of the other wheels on the car in dimensions size etc.

This is fine and can be used as a permanant wheel at any point and as long as it has tread on will pass an MOT

Buts space savers are not ment to go over 50mph and are quite narrow to fit small boot compartnents hence the name. They are not the same in size on the car as the rest of the wheels and can cause handling/traction problems.

taking your car for an mot is like going to the dentist .....

double-6s, i'm not right mate, the web page for mot testers is RIGHT :-) i know nothing lol

Actually i dont carry the spacesaver in the chim, ill just whip out a can of foaming goo if i get a puncture. Apparently having a bicycle wheel on a TVR makes it nearly impossible to drive. Who would have thought ?!

TVR's are a handful even with a full complement of wide wheels...

yeah the wide tyres cause a lot of problems getting them on the back of the RAC/AA lorry ;-)

i'd have one just to listen to it tick over on the drive mmmm