Sign in to follow this  
yeti

Yeti's back in a VAG Daily

Whats the Passat like with the 18in? Im getting one soon as a daily and I was looking at 17in as I thought 18in would look to big.

Yeti, didnt you have that MK3 for sale a while back?

Still for sale technically but no ones biting and i may be dreaming but imo 2k for a v v well sorted mk3 with all the toys and a special edition seemed fair but with this crispy crunch all i've had is two calls/messages who've never called back.

So me and my dad have had words if no one wants it by the end of summer he's gonna buy it off me in a few weekeneds over winter i'm gonna transfer my 2.9 vr/box/shafts etc from the C + engine loom, use my polished inlet manifold i've had sat in the garage, bmc cda, new full stainless exhaust thats in the loft, the kw arb's off the C, the 312's and 280rears and the weitecs - nicer ride than the spax rsx kit thats on there then i think it'll be a very cool little gti 8)

Whats the Passat like with the 18in? Im getting one soon as a daily and I was looking at 17in as I thought 18in would look to big.

The passats sweet as with 18's v comfortable, but tires are v expensive compared to 17's, i'm runnning BF Goodrich G force profilers as i wanted a decent tire to feel the road so therey're not cheap but those coupled with new front wishbones, new topmounts, new discs and pads and the ap coilovers make it handle really well for a barge and its still good on the motorway!

Walesy i still feel bad about that to this day :lol:

Aircon is nice although i spent today driving round with my windows down listening to the vr. Where are you working on your corrado?

I rent a double unit on a farm close by as banging/welding/grinding/swearing etc might piss the neighbors off a bit

Nice anniversary the wheels really suit it, and I know what you mean about no biting I'm trying to sell my wife's 8v at the moment.....

Good skills with the 4wd stuff, really interested to see how it all turns out. I figure probably one of the hardest things to do with the 4wd is finding the bits, so you're half way there already!! Are you using dutchdubs (think thats the name) brackets to hold the haldex?

[so me and my dad have had words if no one wants it by the end of summer he's gonna buy it off me in a few weekeneds over winter i'm gonna transfer my 2.9 vr/box/shafts etc from the C + engine loom, use my polished inlet manifold i've had sat in the garage, bmc cda, new full stainless exhaust thats in the loft, the kw arb's off the C, the 312's and 280rears and the weitecs - nicer ride than the spax rsx kit thats on there then i think it'll be a very cool little gti 8)

Do all that and we *may* buy it off you! :wave:

Just need to talk her indoors out of wanting either a mk5 or A3 ATM! :brickwall:

Oh and she would have let me buy the "Players taxi" RS4 as well... if only I'd known! :bad-words:

[so me and my dad have had words if no one wants it by the end of summer he's gonna buy it off me in a few weekeneds over winter i'm gonna transfer my 2.9 vr/box/shafts etc from the C + engine loom, use my polished inlet manifold i've had sat in the garage, bmc cda, new full stainless exhaust thats in the loft, the kw arb's off the C, the 312's and 280rears and the weitecs - nicer ride than the spax rsx kit thats on there then i think it'll be a very cool little gti 8)

Do all that and we *may* buy it off you! :wave:

Just need to talk her indoors out of wanting either a mk5 or A3 ATM! :brickwall:

Oh and she would have let me buy the "Players taxi" RS4 as well... if only I'd known! :bad-words:

If i'm putting another £1500's worth of parts into her i wont be selling for a while mate - but i'd prefer to sell it as is as it seems a bit of a waste as i may as well start with a new one... and i got offered a low mileage vr with a head gasket failure for hundreds last night :)

Nice anniversary the wheels really suit it, and I know what you mean about no biting I'm trying to sell my wife's 8v at the moment.....

Good skills with the 4wd stuff, really interested to see how it all turns out. I figure probably one of the hardest things to do with the 4wd is finding the bits, so you're half way there already!! Are you using dutchdubs (think thats the name) brackets to hold the haldex?

Yep its been i bit of a pain locating the bits but i think i was v lucky that the right parts came up at the right time... i need to order the dutchbuild brackets (used to be dutchdub but they've changed their name) this week really as well as the coilovers so i can start to trial fit parts as soon as i sort the floor.

I foolishly thought that spot drilling and grinding all the old welds would be a reasonably straight forward job, which it is its just soooo time consuming... Theres easily 10hrs work getting this floor to look like this now with all the careful scraping/cleaning/drilling/chisseling

DSC00969.jpg

95% are the flanges are still good with only a few areas of corrosion and the spots drilled from the sacrificial panels that were thrown away

Spent a few hours scraping the undersela off today and thats as far as i've got.... not very far! :(

I've decided i value my free time though so will be speaking to the bloke who dipped the passat's wheels for me about dipping this floor next week as that'll hapily remove all this underseal without cutting the hell out of my hands anymore and will be fairly painless.

- scrapings the only way if on a running assembled vehicle but seeing as i can throw it in the tank, why not!?

Scraping underseal off is a bitch, I'm on my third day of being underneath the car scraping suspect patches of underseal off and my arms neck and back ache so badly, I wish i had rolled the car over now but initially I thought there was only a little bit to do- how wrong I was lots of little bits that if left would be holes in three years .....

I think a acid tank is definitely the way forward!! More pics needed though :D

LOL - brings back memory....electric drill + dirty big wire brush attachment...will make mince meat of the seal (don't forget to wear googles)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13734/Abr ... sh-Set-3Pc

lol, have 3 of those sets, the mid size one always seems to come off the pressed in shaft, but they seemed to get clogged way too easily, i will have a go tomorrow night i was too busy in the pub this eve... toon toon toon!! :clap:

o and i'll take some close ups of the floor so it shows whats necessary to keep and remove! - and with a bit of luc some before and after pics with the dipping.

I think all i need dipped atm are

floor

syncro rear beam

syncro arb (gwerks recommended sticking with this and refurbing as if upgraded it can make the car understeery :gag: )

front hubs (thank you josh and stu!)

The slam panel and front x member has been cleaned up by hand and will be treated to a pro spray eventually to cure the stone chips this'll be when i get the gouges on the rear bumper repaired from dropping it :(

but i've hammerited it for now as i will with the front subframe once i've cut it around for the aircon unit and moving the gearbox mount 20mm back

lol, have 3 of those sets, the mid size one always seems to come off the pressed in shaft, but they seemed to get clogged way too easily, i will have a go tomorrow night i was too busy in the pub this eve... toon toon toon!! :clap:

o and i'll take some close ups of the floor so it shows whats necessary to keep and remove! - and with a bit of luc some before and after pics with the dipping.

I think all i need dipped atm are

floor

syncro rear beam

syncro arb (gwerks recommended sticking with this and refurbing as if upgraded it can make the car understeery :gag: )

front hubs (thank you josh and stu!)

The slam panel and front x member has been cleaned up by hand and will be treated to a pro spray eventually to cure the stone chips this'll be when i get the gouges on the rear bumper repaired from dropping it :(

but i've hammerited it for now as i will with the front subframe once i've cut it around for the aircon unit and moving the gearbox mount 20mm back

Try and get some bigger brushes, I have some can't remember where the hell I bought them from tho. Although if it saves time can't argue with that!

As for the syncro arb, not sure about that advice, the syncro arb is pretty weedy, alot of the syncro peeps go beyond the rallye arb and go for a passat item, which is even thicker! FYI syncro arb is 18mm, rallye is 20mm passat is 22mm.

Hope that makes sense!

As for the syncro arb, not sure about that advice, the syncro arb is pretty weedy, alot of the syncro peeps go beyond the rallye arb and go for a passat item, which is even thicker! FYI syncro arb is 18mm, rallye is 20mm passat is 22mm.

cheers man, yeah they did say the passat's one was thicker and people go for this, considdering i think the front one is now the 28mm kw one i recon i'll try and track down a passat syncro one :)

edit: thanks simon, i quickly looked and the front is 22mm not 28 - wow that'd be a bit big thinking of it, the rear is 25 but that should be going to josh (mariojoshi) attached to my rebushed rear axle if he decides he wants it! so a passat one would be balanced!

Surely if your front ARB is that huge then you would need to at least match the rear to that, i dont know what effect 4wd has on the steering capabilities as opposed to fwd but the bigger you go on the front with a smaller rear then it makes it alot more understeery.

After spending a few phonecalls this week talking to various dippers/blasters the general word on the street is that blasting or dipping wont remove underseal or seam sealer - need a chemical peel, apparently not something women do but strips sealant off...

But i was talking to the fella who rents a few units down from me and he said he can blast it for me :D ... and to remove the sealer why dont i burn it off... ?? he leant me his blow torch and i used an old gas cylinder left in our unit by the previous tennants

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC00973.JPG[/attachment:1s0mjzjx]

then this happened, lol

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC00970.JPG[/attachment:1s0mjzjx]

but as this pic shows, controlled small spots of fire soften the sealant and it becomes charcoal like leaving the metal underneath perfectly clean after scraping (used a small pallet knife/wallpaper scraper thing from focus)

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC00971.JPG[/attachment:1s0mjzjx]

so although i'd planned to have it dropped off at the dippers/blasters this week and pick it up this weekend at leat its now in a stage where every weld flange has been prepared at least 2" away from it to minimise the risk of crap running into the weld and all rust spots have been exposed ready to be blasted 8)

DSC00972.JPG[/attachment:1s0mjzjx]

aif yu try this make sure your carefull! - o and only heat/burn small sections and be sure to use proper thick fire retardent metalwork gauntlets to prtect yourself and also to damp down the flame if they get carried away :D

How hot did you let it get? I'd be a bit wary as the heating and cooling cycle can weaken the metal, or cause warping.

How hot did you let it get? I'd be a bit wary as the heating and cooling cycle can weaken the metal, or cause warping.

dont worry tom, not very at all, just enough to burn the surface of the sealant then scrape it back, then wire brush in a drill the remnants, the gauntlets were to protect my hands from the torch more than the heat of the metal!

OMG! I would be calling the fire brigade!! haha! Great results though. I have got to do this throughout the winter months so going to keep a watch on your results. Looks great though.

Just for my benifit really tracking what i'm doing and when - went to london for jons birthday... sold my interior (will get the bases and switches sent out to you this week ads!) and came back with the cage i'd decided against fitting - thaks mark for putting the idea in my head again whilst drinking!

o well, this....

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfgarage.JPG[/attachment:7dzb0ppj]

will become this when i'm done, custom cages multipoint cage, that and my 2 carbon seats should make it an interesting place to be!

custom_corrado_cad.jpg[/attachment:7dzb0ppj]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfcustom_corrado.jpg[/attachment:7dzb0ppj]

not sure when but seeing as i've sold my leathers i thought i should fill the space... o and i'm in the middle of designing a better/cheaper 02m corrado mount bracket than the one dutch build want 170 euros + delivery for :cuckoo: (thanks to doug lending me his shorter version 8) ) - will post pics of it when done and if a few people are thinking of this then i might make up a few :wink:

You gonna have issues with the Monkeys swinging about when you're driving mate? :lol:

Oh and cheers for giving me a headache yesterday too! :gag:

Looking very nice! Your going to feel nice and safe in there.

Your going to make me feel guilty now I've got your leathers :D

I would like to see this in the flesh once it's all done. Keep up the good work!

Please please sell me that cage when you again decide not to put it in, as its not going to suit your car at all, not one bit.

Please please sell me that cage when you again decide not to put it in, as its not going to suit your car at all, not one bit.

Lol! - it'll pretty much define the look of the car - i've seen the pics of what happens to C's when the flip and i dont fancy that! - plus to fit flat crabon door cards i'll need to remove some of the strength of the door so putting the cage with door bars in makes it nice and safe again :D

but i dont want the stripped out look so i will be looking to trim in after the cars running with carpets and side panels