Sign in to follow this  
TomB

Tough these 'dub gearboxes...

Well, I was putting off the new gearbox install until after Christmas & my exams, but my Golf today transformed itself from a 5 speed to a 4 speed somewhere south of Newcastle....

With a sound like it was gargling spanners, the 5th cog has grenaded its component parts over the inside of the box (which sounds low on oil the way things are rattling about).

Still, my initial point was that wven with all this going on, it made its way to Newcastle then all the way back to York in 4th. The banging from the transmission dis sound a little like the gnashing of the mythical teeth of Babba Yagga (sp?) but it got me home.

Time for a visit to the scrappy for a replacement box tomorrow I think... :-)

Yup, although it did 3000 miles between the initial damage and finally giving up.

P.S Apologies Mods for posting this in the wrong place. :oops:

Hey Tom,

I dont know if your Golf is a 16v or not but if it is put an 8v box on it was the best mod I did to my 16v :-) really looonnng 5th gear plus I was able to drive it with no first gear for 6 months before I got round to fixing the linkage! :oops: Not found a hill yet that I cant pull away in 2nd on and plus the mpg improved too! Well worth changing the oil seals and refilling with fresh hp oil while your at it!

Cheers

Dan

I guess it's a TDI going by his sig?

5th can be changed without dropping the box incidentally. Or can you on the 020? Defo can on the 02A....

Unusual for 5th to grenade itself, it's usually always 3rd that bites it first!