Sign in to follow this  
camper driver

VR6 replaced head gasket. Now it sounds like a tractor

The engine now sounds like a very loud diesel. I,m 100% sure all head bolt torque settings are correct. I,m thinking maybe the cams are out of synch or maybe the timings out. I know the notches in the ends of the cams should line up but they are slightly different.(they were when i took it apart) and not enough to be a full tooth out. Is there any good references for setting up timing?

I,m Lost HELP Please

Cam slots should line up. Dont forget that the slots are off centre, so might have to rotate a few times to get it all lined up. Set to TDC using the markings under the rubber cover on the top of the gearbox.

almost sure that the intermediate timing is out.

Its not a gasket blowing sound, but the engine sounding just like a diesel.

Still any help and advice will be appreciated

Thanks for the help guys

Did you remove the cams? If you did, were new hydraulic tappets fitted? Also, was the head skimmed whist it was off and if so, by how much?

am i reading this right?

you changed the head gasket, but noever bothered to set the cam timing?

Nobody in there right mind wouldnt "noever be bothered" to set the cam timing. If you were reading it right you would understand I have timed it up but something wasnt right. Yes Ive made a mistake by overlooking the unique intermediate timing sprocket steup on a vr6. Obviously you dont understand this aswell otherwise you would have pointed me in the right direction. May I suggest if you cant help then in future you dont take the p*** with derogatory bovered comments

To all those who have offered help, as always its much appreciated

IIRC the intermediate shaft drives the oil pump. I never understood why it has to be setup right though, can't quite see how that makes a difference.

As I remember the intermediate sprocket is not a 1-to-1 between the crank and the cams so the tooth pitch between the two runs out of time. Therefore, if I've got this right, it needs to be set with the marks lined up where both pitches are in line at 0 deg.

You can take the sprocket off the rod which eventually connects to the oil pump and put it back 90, 180, 270 deg. out and it wont make any difference to the oil pump, just the cams and crank chains need to be aligned when the intermediate is at 0 deg. At least, that's how I understood it when doing mine.

am i reading this right?

you changed the head gasket, but noever bothered to set the cam timing?

Nobody in there right mind wouldnt "noever be bothered" to set the cam timing. If you were reading it right you would understand I have timed it up but something wasnt right. Yes Ive made a mistake by overlooking the unique intermediate timing sprocket steup on a vr6. Obviously you dont understand this aswell otherwise you would have pointed me in the right direction. May I suggest if you cant help then in future you dont take the p*** with derogatory bovered comments

To all those who have offered help, as always its much appreciated

well I'll tell you how much help I'll be giving you ever again.. precisely none.