Sign in to follow this  
marcus

Who has Brembos on VR.

Im having a nightmare searching for wheels that will clear a set of new 4pot Brembos and 312mm discs, im now getting desperate and want some wheels quick, ive searched the net and made phone calls for 4 days.

Has anyone else had similar problems? and what wheels do you have now?

The space from disc face to calliper edge is 54mm!!!!!!!!

Any help would be great because its looking like a process of buying wheels, and sending them back if they dont fit as hardly any manufacturer i spoke to was particularly helpful.

The Team Dynamics Prorace 1 will clear (same as the ones in my sig) and they don't weigh anything which is a bonus. Et35 will work too, which keeps the wheels in the arches where they belong.

The clearance needs to be from the disc flange (hub face) to edge of caliper, not the disc face the pads rub on, or did you mean that?

Most 4 pots need around 45mm spoke - disc flange clearance, unless they're unusually large ones!

Leon Cupra R rims should do it with out any hastle but they are 18's... the FR+ uses the same design but in 17'' so you may find these are a good solution - if you can get hold of a set :?

I've run two VR6's with Brembo upgrades, first a 328mm and now a (Seat) 323mm kit on the current car. I also know a few folks who've put the 305/312 kits on thier cars.

If you're running 312's you really shouldn't have too much trouble. Obviously you need to be running at least 16's - the main issue you need to work around is clearing the wide Brembo calipers but even that's not too bad.

A lot comes down to what kind of wheel you are looking for. The Seat ones mentioned will fit easy-peasy but in my experience finding a set second hand is tough because all the guys on the Seat Forums with "lesser" models keep snapping them up to make thier cars look like Cupras! No matter though - you should be able to fit something like BBS RC's in 7½x17 without needing spacers. If you are happy going up to an 8" width your options will be even greater. A lot comes down to the design of the wheel at the width you're working at, as it's the spokes which foul the calipers and designs vary y'know.

Frankly if you are concerned about it then don't take a chance - find a decent tyre/wheel fitters and ask for advice or see if they can test fit one for you. There are online resources available which tell you about the offset/width/clearance issues, but frankly it's a lot less sodding about to talk to someone in the trade about it.

I can certainly tell you that Compomotive MO 7x17s fit with tons of space to spare, because they're designed for motorsport use and because I have over ½" of clearance to the calipers on the ones on my car. To illustrate the point about clearances though my old 8" Mim Amalfi's only had about 1mm clearance despite being an inch wider and the same offset...

p.s. bear in mind that if you start to go over 7½" rim widths, that 205 width tyres will start to "stretch" off the rim. It's not a problem per se, but you need to start watching those wheel lips on kerbs.

COROZIN -good advice there, cheers.

After more research and realising none of the wheels i want would fit, ive now accepted a change in style and been looking at more 'rally' type ones with no dish. muti spoke etc and found a fair few which i prob wont have any problems with.

A set of Rota wheels!

I finally found a set of wheels i like 8x17 et 35 only and spoke to my trustee VW guru who said they would create fair bit of rubbing?

Deciding on just getting them anyway, rubbing wouldnt be TOO bad would it? pple on here are running that size????

i'm running 17x8's ET38 matey without spacers etc and have zero rubbing issues (to be fair i've got a lot of new suspension component's & top mounts / bushes etc so maybe some settling in still), what are the wheels you went for in the end then?