Sign in to follow this  
allstaruk

Newbie - hello

Hi guys,

I don't have a corrado, (sorry) I drive a calibra and am in the process of buying a rx-7, anyway my best mate has a L reg 2l 16v which I have spent the day fixing as his mechanical knowlege is somewhat lacking.

Anyway, as my friends knowlege is somwhat lacking and he has no internet access I though I would have a little look see.

I have done a quick search and can't find the answers to these questions, sorry if they are there and everone has asked already.

Can you get a manual?

Is there one on the net?

Any idea what stops it idiling properly, Just for peace of mind I have changed the oil/air filter/plugs/coolant/Brake Fluid, and checked trackig and tyre pressure.

Also there appears to be a heat shield on the exaust manifold that is lose and causes an annoying rattle are there any solutions to this.

Cheers in advance

Alan

haynes dont do a manual for the corrado

there is another company that does a manual, but it costs about £80

you could get the manual for a golf cause the 16v engine in the corrado is the same as the golf gti

as for idle speed, could be the ISV valve, but not sure

Im sure someone will be along soon to give you a bit more info

Nice one I hope so I am gettin fed up trying to work out things on his car I have if enoug trouble keeping my car runing well let alone working out what his is up to.

Yeah so true, would be alright if I hadn't turned into the resident mechanic out of my mates. Had to service my mates 2l 16v, I have had to re-buikd my mates mk1 golf g g60. Mabey i should but a VW then this could atleast prove usefull for me.

I reccon the problem with his car is the ISV or the 5th Injector, be nice to have a manual to know what I was taking off.

Al

Heat shield rattles can be cured with a BIG jubilee clip being put over it to clamp it to the downpipe... :D 8) (works on mine!)

Your idle problems do sound like ISV problems, do a search for ISV here, and you'll probably find the answers to your problem.

Manuals for 'rados DO exist, but they are expensive. The Bently manual is the best, other than that you're looking for Genuine Workshop manuals which go for silly money...

I've got a Passat and MKII and MKIII Golf Haynes manuals which tell you pretty much everything you need to know apart from some G60 bits and the wiring... Even then you can normally guess as VW tend to use similar looms in their related cars! 8) It's a bit of a faff, but I get there in the end! :lol:

Good luck, you've started well as this is the best place to ask things like this! 8) :D

It does seem like a good forum I have been a member of clubcalibra for a couple of years and they are a great bunch and this seems very similar. I really like the site design here to.

Anyway I have just done some searchig and I have founnd afriend that can get me the bently manual on cd for a tenner so that might be the way to go.

Cheers for all the advice.

> Heat shield rattles can be cured with a BIG jubilee clip being put over it to clamp it to the downpipe... (works on mine!)

Could you give me a quick description of where this goes and what sort of size I am after. I have to many things to do at the moment to spend time plying around.

Thanks in advance

Alan

you can get a manual from halfords,it by lyndsay porter,not seen one myself though so i cant rate them

I have one of these manuals and can say that it is almost completely useless ( dont have to worry about buying toillet roll for a while! :twisted:)

It is no where near enough descriptive as it doesnt specify particular engines it just states engines made beteween certain years and engine sizes.

It's pants! :x

Could you give me a quick description of where this goes and what sort of size I am after. I have to many things to do at the moment to spend time plying around.

Thanks in advance

Alan

It depends on which heat shield is rattling... There's a lower one where the 2 downpipes become one that you just get the biggest jubilee you can over it and clamp it tight to stop the rattle. (that's the one I've done) I think it's about an 80mm clip you need, but it's a while since I did mine...

There's also a shield on the actual manifold that I've been told you can clamp to the down pipe with a clip, although I've never had to do this one, so I don't know...

I'm removing my engine tomorrow (see member's gallery "Henny's J-Dub) which I'll update in a minute!) so I'll have a quick look at the jubilee while I'm taking the downpipe off the manifold in the morning and post back up here about it, maybe even with a picture! :lol: 8)

you can get a manual from halfords,it by lyndsay porter,not seen one myself though so i cant rate them

It's not great but I think It's worth the £4.99 there currently selling them off for.

The heat shield I am talking about is just before the manifold joins the next pipe. Not 100% as I have never taken a corrado apart before yesturday.

The Bently manual is the best

Unfortunately the Bently manual does not cover either of the 16v models - only VR6's & G60's which were exported to USA.

Ok cool that is helpfull, I guess I am gonna have to pester you guys when I have a problem fixing it then. (sorry in advance).

Well impressed with this forum everyone has been really helpfull, keep up the good work guys and thanks for the help.

you could get the manual for a golf cause the 16v engine in the corrado is the same as the golf gti

pedant mode=on

My understanding is that in the UK (I think it might have been different for the US though) the 2.0 16V engine (code 9A) is not the same as the one in the Golf GTi (certainly not the Mk3, as I have the haynes to prove it :lol: not to mention the 14bhp difference... :mad:).

The only other car it was used in was the 2.0 16V Passat (GL I think).

Here's a source for VW engine codes...

http://home.planet.nl/~koni1691/ecodes.html

pedant mode=off

:wink:

DtM.

Hello again!

Right, I got my camera out, pulled the engine outta the car and can now put up a picture of the exhaust shield rattle inhibitor that I'm on about (ie, here's a pic of where the big jubilee clip goes! :lol: )

I have removed the heat shield on my exhaust manifold itself at some point, I don't actually remember taking it off, but I know it was on there before I took the head off to have it ported/polished, and it's not on there now! That's how I cured that rattle! :roll: :? :lol:

The pic below shows a view you won't get of your 'rado unless you pull the engine out, but you can get the idea better of where I mean to put the jubilee clip on... 8) It's pretty easy to fit it from under the car, just make sure the exhaust is cold first!!! :roll: :lol:

Hope this helps!

duncanthemad wrote

pedant mode=on

My understanding is that in the UK (I think it might have been different for the US though) the 2.0 16V engine (code 9A) is not the same as the one in the Golf GTi (certainly not the Mk3, as I have the haynes to prove it not to mention the 14bhp difference... ).

The only other car it was used in was the 2.0 16V Passat (GL I think).

1.8 16v corrado has KR engine, also in mk2 16v golf and others

2.0 16v corrado has 9a, also in audi 80, coupe and others

mk3 16v Golf has ABF, your list only shows it as in passat.

I can't find any picture to show ya' but basically it lives to the right of the engine block, just above the distributor. It's a black cylinder about 2" in diameter (and about 6" long). It's held in place by a rubber loop. There's an electrical connection (plug) on the end facing the windscreen and there should be two pipes coming out of it... one directly opposite the plug, the other pointing down at 90 deg. to the first one. Simply unplug the connector, remove the two pipes (can take some doing!) and then slide out of the rubber loop (it's heavier than you think!)

As for cleaning it, a Corrado owner I used to know cleaned mine for me and he basically got a can of Carb cleaner (aerosol) and sprayed into the holes, let it sit for a minute or two, then shake it out and let it dry out a bit. I've also heard of people soaking it overnight in a bowl of petrol... ?

If all else fails (or if you ever need a new one), you can pick them up from somewhere like Euro Car parts for about £100.

HTH (a little :lol:)

DtM.

P.S. if anyone HAS to point out double-entendre's in my post, at least do it with some style, eh? :)