Sign in to follow this  
Mancorr

Could it be a track rod end? More info added.......

I know another topic by me so soon!

My steering wheel still shakes. I have put the rear wheels on the front, i had new Yoko tyres put on these and balanced a few weeks ago so i thought i would put them on to see if my steering wheel stopped shaking....no luck! I was talking to a lad from Halfords earlier and he said it might be track rod ends ( whatever these things are....im not mechanicaly minded!) Could it be a track rod end? It starts shaking from 20mph onwards, gets worse at higher speeds. If i take my hands off steering wheel whilst driving she pulls very slighlty to the left. I dont know if this could help but my left brake pad had worn much more than my right (both replaced) and my fornt left tyre was distorted (new tyre on now) It really is not a nice drive due to this problem so any advice would be great :)

Paul.

If i take my hands off steering wheel whilst driving she pulls very slighlty to the left

Thats fairly normal due to the camber in the road..

Does this wobble happen when you brake or accelerate?

It may be worth trying to get the wheels balanced oin the car, that way you end up with the wheels, brakes and drive shafts balanced together.

Worth remebering if you go down this route next time you take the wheel off make sure you know which way it came off (i.e same studs) or youll loose the balance.

As for trackrod ends, im not 100 but jack the car up and see if the wheel will wobble (hand on top of wheel and one on bottom). That should give you indication if there is any play....

Good luck..

Advice: take it for an MOT. Cheapest way to find out if there's anything badly wrong with the suspension/brakes.

Advice: take it for an MOT

Reckon that might be a good call, least that way you ll end up witha list of what needs sorting out.

Advice: take it for an MOT. Cheapest way to find out if there's anything badly wrong with the suspension/brakes.

Great idea mate :)

Just come home and found that the steering wheel shakes much more under braking (not heavy braking). The front wheels were warm/hot after a 9 mile journey, back wheels....cold!

Any more ideas to save me £40 getting an MOT :wink:

Warped discs, brakes sticking???

Are the calipers ok?

I think 40 quid in the long run could be a sound investment.

sounds like a warped disc to me on i'm guessing the passenger side front, new pads and discs i reckon

As for trackrod ends, im not 100 but jack the car up and see if the wheel will wobble (hand on top of wheel and one on bottom). That should give you indication if there is any play....

that will tell you if the ball joint is knackered

hands on the wheel at 1/4 to 3 (i.e. front to back) will show if the track rod has play also and better is to try and push and pull the steering at the track rod end up and down

but neither of those would generate heat , a warped disc would