Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Beesting

Whirring noise coming from fan control module (vr6)

Hi

So I got the car started finally and noticed a strange noise coming from around the fan control module. Its kinda like a clicking/whirring noise that goes every 10-20 seconds, but does sometimes go for longer. I also get it when I turn the ingition key on one click.

I presume its something to do with the aux water pump? I just replaced the rad/thermostat and all sensors so I hope its nothing to do with them.

Could it be a dry joint somewhere (the cars been stood for about 2 months!) that I could pull something apart and give it a blast of wd40?

One other question. I have a loose black rubber pipe going along the top of the engine bay. Is this a breather pipe?? Where is the breather pipe on a vr6/

Thanks

Hi

I had this a few months back. I bought a replacement blower unit of ebay which included the resistor, fitted it myself, take 15 mins and it sorted it. It sounds like you have the same problem from the symptoms that you have described.

Col

Probably different thing in that case, mine was definately from the blower unit although the symptoms sound very similiar!

Good luck tracking it down.

The only moving parts in the (vr6) unit are 3 small relays. If it doesnt sound like a clicking relay i would guess its your aux water pump.

It does sound like a clicking relay, only like its clicking like crazy when it gets hot its almost constant. When its cold it goes every 20-30 seconds.

The aux water pump was replaced not long ago.

Yeah mine's doing the same mate, clicking and buzzing from the fan controller, but only when the after-run circuit is on or ignition as you say. My controller was bought new from VAG last year, so don't buy a new one until I've found the cause ;-)

I suspect it's the pump on it's way out giving the relay a hard time to maintain the correct voltage to it. And the pump is only about 6 months old aswell (from VAG!), so I will be extremely p'd off if one or both are knackered already. I'm not having much luck with my engine at all at the moment...... someone from above seems to be throwing problems at me by the handful at the moment!

Oh and the relay unit is a sealed box so unservicable I'm afraid.

Yeah mine's doing the same mate, clicking and buzzing from the fan controller, but only when the after-run circuit is on or ignition as you say. My controller was bought new from VAG last year, so don't buy a new one until I've found the cause ;-)

I suspect it's the pump on it's way out giving the relay a hard time to maintain the correct voltage to it. And the pump is only about 6 months old aswell (from VAG!), so I will be extremely p'd off if one or both are knackered already. I'm not having much luck with my engine at all at the moment...... someone from above seems to be throwing problems at me by the handful at the moment!

At least I am not alone! Yeah my pump is new as well, I cant think whats causing it. Shame its a sealed unit, makes it harder to diagnose.

Keep me updated if you find the cure! I am going for the 'oh, its fixed itself' option at the moment as I have plenty of other things to look at!

Cheers

Will do chap.... like you, at the moment it's bottom of the intray :lol:

So long as the main pump works when it's running, I'm not that bothere tbh!

I must admit, I've never thought the way VAG implemented the VR6's cooling system is especially good. The electric pump is frankly rubbish, very little flow and very short life span. Does it really need to stay on for 10 minutes? I better pump running for half the time would be a better solution imo and I'm going to design a such a system when time allows.

In the meantime, I'm going to try a second hand pump and see if the relay clicking goes away.

On yours, have you noticed whether it's worse when cold or hot, or the same regardless of temp?

Will do chap.... like you, at the moment it's bottom of the intray :lol:

So long as the main pump works when it's running, I'm not that bothere tbh!

I must admit, I've never thought the way VAG implemented the VR6's cooling system is especially good. The electric pump is frankly rubbish, very little flow and very short life span. Does it really need to stay on for 10 minutes? I better pump running for half the time would be a better solution imo and I'm going to design a such a system when time allows.

In the meantime, I'm going to try a second hand pump and see if the relay clicking goes away.

On yours, have you noticed whether it's worse when cold or hot, or the same regardless of temp?

We can both hope for the self fixing route then!

Mine appears to be worse when its hot. I will double check tonight but from memory definetly worse hot!

The aux water pump keeps water circulating after switch off to prevent fuel vapourisation when the engine is hot. Mine doesnt continue to run-on and it takes a good 7 revolutions of the engine to fire up again after a 15 min sit.

You can take the control unit apart. Just scrape the black sealant stuff out with a screwdriver. The top part of the case is kept on by a tab at each side. A small screwdriver to lever them out will work. Its all pretty robust plastic tho. You wont damage anything.

Not entirely true since the fuel rail on VR6s is at the front of the car on the intake manifold. Maybe you're thinking of the G60 which runs fuel through the rail after switch off to prevent evaporation?

The after run on the VR is to make sure there are no localised heat soak issues. The rear bank of 3 run much hotter than the front trio and a flow of water after switch off helps cool it down.

My fan controller module is melted / plastic welded together all the way round, so can't get into it. Earlier ones might be siliconed though as you say!

Are you sure that the VR run-on doesnt do both ? My hot start problem seems to defo be fuel vapourisation. I suspect the fuel pump doesnt run-on either which may also be a factor, but do you imply that the fuel pump shouldnt run-on on a vr - only on a G60 ?

Re: controle module.

Mine looked like the plastic was welded shut, but check again and you may find its hard waxy stuff which can be scraped out. I have a very late vr.

Are you sure that the VR run-on doesnt do both ? My hot start problem seems to defo be fuel vapourisation. I suspect the fuel pump doesnt run-on either which may also be a factor, but do you imply that the fuel pump shouldnt run-on on a vr - only on a G60 ?

Re: controle module.

Mine looked like the plastic was welded shut, but check again and you may find its hard waxy stuff which can be scraped out. I have a very late vr.

Does your module have two blade fuses under the little plastic flip bit on the left handside of it (looking at from the front of the car)?

Does your module have two blade fuses under the little plastic flip bit on the left handside of it (looking at from the front of the car)?

Yup

Here is a prev thread which may (or may not ) be of use.

kev a relay is just a switch mate when you give it 12v it opens/closes the switch remove it and the oposite happens output voltage load has nothing to do with it mate