Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Radiator woes...

The main four bumper bolt are 17mm I believe. Get a good socket that grips the sides not the corners to stop the edges rounding. Also a good breaker bar comes in handy.

When you have everything off, give the bolts a clean with some wire wool and give them a good squirt of white grease. Water collects on the threads and this is why they are sometimes difficult to get off. If you do want to take the bumper off again this helps.

Also the two brackets (bent pieces of metal, dont know the proper name) that go through the slam panel and mount the rad to the salm, give these a clean, kurust and hammerite. Rust builds up on them and can make the hard to get out. Dont be afraid to give these a bit of wack to get them out. they are sturdy.

Dont be afraid to give it ago, I suck at mecahnics and I managed to get it done (eventually). Also while you are there its a good opportunity to change some other parts (thermostat etc).

All the best with it boys and if I can think of anything else I will put it up.

Started tonight- those 17mm bumper bolts are impossible! Have given them another good soak in WD40 and will try again tomorrow.

All the slam panel screws etc came off easily enough. Just need to get that bloody bumper off!

The job as a whole doesn't seem too bad (apart from those bolts).

Good excuse to detail the headlights too ;)

Ha ha! Tell me about it! Got it for such a bargain price though, don't mind a few teething probs ;)

Need to get myself a breaker bar tomorrow.

LOL...I managed them even with my crap tools set.

Would recommend soaking them ASAP with WD-40, they are big b******s

Must be a real tight squezze working in a VR6 enigne bay though! remeber the cuts and bruises on my hands from working on my old V6...still miss it though :(

Done! Phew! Took around 5 hours all in, but well over an hour to undo the 4 17mm bumper bolts. Took two of us using a breaker bar and a great big wrench! The rest of it is pretty straight forward. Reckon I could do it in a couple of hours next time- that said, I hope their isn't a next time all that soon!

Relief to get it done.

Well done mate told you its worth doing yourself plus you get the added bonus of saying yes i fitted that radiator!

Dave, nope- it's a cracker for the money ;) Just a few minor things to sort.

Had another look at that door handle- think I defo need to send it to you in half term (week after next) if that's still OK?

Dave, nope- it's a cracker for the money ;) Just a few minor things to sort.

Had another look at that door handle- think I defo need to send it to you in half term (week after next) if that's still OK?

Yeah no probs, just let me know when you're ready.

:) It's actually not that bad to do, is it? It's left me feeling a lot more confident about doing other stuff now.

:) It's actually not that bad to do, is it? It's left me feeling a lot more confident about doing other stuff now.

Yeah, thats why my dash is now in my garage while I change the heater matrix!

Same here after repairing my sunroof.