Sign in to follow this  
owensluke

hey guys found the problem!!

Hi just bought my first corrado and it was fine for the first few days, but it has all of a sudden started to idle at 3000 revs at stand still and also does not drop while pushing the clutch down while driving. i have cleaned the isv with carb cleaner but this did not solve the problem has anyone got any ideas cheers Luke

where would i find the fuel metering thingybob?

On top of the airbox. next to the fuel pipes is 5in wide hose. take the hose off. down below will be silver plate. be very very gentle with it. make sure it is clean especially on the circumference .

Be careful messing around with that - its a rather sensitive setup.

Try and find a good, known working ISV off eBay or something. You can pick them up cheap if you shop around. The ISV on my 2.0 16v was bad - and even though i'd totally cleaned it out with carb cleaner, it didn't matter. I fitted a new (well, used but working) ISV and boom - it was perfect and hasn't played up since.

Hey guys can any body help changed the isv for a new one but still the same problem still idling at 3000 revs well pissed but never mind just need to solve this problem any ideas?

Hey guys can any body help changed the isv for a new one but still the same problem still idling at 3000 revs any ideas?

Hi

Check the throttle cable/switch.

Had a similar problem with my valver. Next time you start it, put your foot under the accelerator pedal and flip it up. if your idle returns to normal its just your cable thats playing up. simple check and simple fix which will hopefully knock something off your list. Think a cable is only £20 from the main stealer. :D

As for the timing belt, shouldn't cause a problem with the idle.

Maybe try and get it set up at your local garage

My old valver went strange after i changed the cambelt, set the timin up right and the engine was flat as a pancake

I then re-checked the timin, which was right

To cut a long story short, i ended up takin it to the local vw garage, they tested the co, and for some reason the mixture was out, they set it up and it was perfect again

Very strange!!!!

Might not work for you, but worth a go, coz the garage didnt even charge me

thanks for all the info the 2nd temp sensor had gone on the corrado which was making idle high but never mind got one on order cheers Luke

Are you sure? As far as I'm aware there's no connection between any temperature sensor and the fuel-injection system on the 1.8 16v engine. The fuel is metered mechanically, with cold-start enrichment handled by a pressure regulating valve.

this is wot i was told today? he showed me as he put pressure with his hand on the connection of the temp sensor the car would idle perfectly but when he moved his hand it would pic up the revs again? he said there is a loose connection? i will try it tomorrow it is worth a couple of quid to see if it solves my problem? He said that the car is running at normal temp but the car thinks it is still cold so it is giving it more revs like on a cold morning? i will soon find out tomorrow!!

When i had my 1.8 valver i had a similar problem. It was my own fault I had snapped off the vacuum hose to the overun cut-off valve, grey thing found directly behind the airbox, has a pipe coming from the airbox and one from the intake pipe. The revs would sit at 2500-3000 between gear changes and when in neutral. I should imagine a vacuum leak in any of that area would cause similar effects.

'Tis worth a look if the temp sensor doesn't help.