Sign in to follow this  
1st rado for me

2.7 bi turbo s4 engine will it work?

Hi guys

I am looking into the possibilty of fitting a 2.7 bi turbo engine from a audi 24 into my C.

I know the main problems will be wiring and probably driveshafts has any one done this before?

Any ideas would be welcome.

TSR offered it as a £12k conversion IIRC

Ouch - can only assume its a fairly lengthy and complex transplant!!

Have a search on here, there was someone who put theres in to have the conversion done but were left with an unfinished project when TSR went belly up (however soon to reopen under new management)

Gav

Don't bother, just turbo a VR6 and save yourself a pile of aggro and cash.

and itl sound better :twisted:

the vr was specifically designed to fit in a relitively small bay its tranverse to whilst the audi is a conventional v and sits longitudinally

It would be major work to install the S4 engine in the front of a corrado, If mounted longitudinal you would struggle to fit the engine under the front pannel a get the front driveshafts in. The bulkhead would have to be modified, steering rack relocated and many other jobs.

How come? so much work just to stop so far?

You'll have to take that up with Doug... ! A real shame.. but the engine is staying in the coupehaus camp.. more to follow ;-)

what about mounting it in the rear of the car Clio v6 stlye and running it rwd I pressume that would make it easier.

Now thats a better option, Using a Passat/A4 97>2000 TDI FWD gearbox, This bolts straight to the engine and handles the power no problem, Quaife LSD are available for this gearbox. Then space frame the rear end to take the Engine/gearbox. A lot of work but would be cool.

I want some thing that is powerful and different.

Different? It has been done in a VW Caddy, but not in a Corrado

Unfortunatly this project is no longer :(.. so I'm sure its fine to show you this...

http://www.coupehaus.co.uk/doug_project_S4_new.html

8)

It a shame, A lot of work has gone into that project, But it still at it early stages and there a loads more work to be done. Mounting the engine looks good because you see progress then you work for weeks/months, making little brackets and pipes, nothing seems to be changing.

If he want to get rid of the engine let me know :?:

Guys I have been thinking and may have got my hands on a engine from a s2 coupe any thoughts on this?

I presume it will fit in the engine bay ok what bearbox can I use?

Any thoughts on this conversion would be great.

thanks for the comments guys , I am now changing my thoughts as I do'nt think I have enough time, I may have laid my hands on a s2 coupe engine anyone done this before?

Any thoughts on conversion would be great

s2 is a great engine but may as well stick to a 16vt. itll fit properly for a starter.

engine bay length is the issue along with fitting a box to the s2 as im fairly sure the 4 pot box wont bolt up.

the 5cyl s2 is basically a 16v with an extra pot on it. in an audi engine bay its shoved under the bulkhead and up against the radiator so may not fit in a corrado without body mods.

it mount longitudally so is an issue unles you plan to run a gearbox of this type too. ive seen an s2 or s4 box and they are huge. also it may not line up in the wheel arches too well so plenty of angly on the shafts.

personally id go 80quattro if i wanted a longitudal engine and 4x4 that way otherwise id look down the existing routes.

you can get over 500 at the wheels from a 16vt so power limits are not a worry.

if you want something different then yes maybe but probly better getting an s2 coupe unless you want a corrado.

another possability is a volvo box. not too sure if they bolt up or not but they are haldex so will run in a similar manner to the 4motion stuff.

basically anything that goes in the hole will fit.

my mate has a 2.4 subaru engine with a fully built block and ported heads and custom cams for sale if you want one of those. good for 8.5krpm and lots of power depending on boost. he has 2 of these and im gonna tune the other one soon for hopefully around 600hp.

Unfortunatly this project is no longer :(.. so I'm sure its fine to show you this...

http://www.coupehaus.co.uk/doug_project_S4_new.html

8)

It a shame, A lot of work has gone into that project, But it still at it early stages and there a loads more work to be done. Mounting the engine looks good because you see progress then you work for weeks/months, making little brackets and pipes, nothing seems to be changing.

If he want to get rid of the engine let me know :?:

yeah.. that was just a w/e's work, from a running V5 to an almost mounted S4 engine.

S4 engine is being used in another project - sorry!

depends on what you want, what you have and the skills and cash also.

if we are lookingf at 4 pots then botha re good and i think personnally equal arguements for each engine. best drop over to the 16v forced induction thread for that.

for the 6 pot kev is probly the furthest down that road. vr6 FI thread.

in all honest the difference when you come down to it is 2 cylinders. turbos are turbos.

there is this the arguement that 6 is better than 4 and 4 handles better than 6. personal preference. in the UK most are bias to a 6 pot or 1.8t where as in america it is a fairer more argued and informed split.

for reference as far as im aware the fastest normal corrado is a 1.8t running a 9.9 ish in america still front wheel drive.