Sign in to follow this  
waynos

waynos' 1.9 16vt more bits done!

minor update,been collecting a few other parts

heres the heated lambda probe i bought to run my air/fuel ratio gauge. next to it is a boss and bung. the boss needs to be welded into the exhaust to allow the lambda to be screwed in. the bung is not required.

lambda.jpg

heres the gauge the lambda will be connected to

airfuelgauge.jpg

and finally the gauge pod i mounted to the front pillar. it was a universal gauge pod that was thrown in when i got the engine.it didnt fit the pillar at all so i had to fibreglass certain bits and chop out others. once that was all done and filled i sprayed it black.here it is

guagepodmounted.jpg

gaugepodcloseup.jpg

my boost gauge and boost button turned up today

heres the gauge

boostgauge.jpg

fitted into guage pod

gaugesfitted.jpg

the boost button - the letters boost light up when its on!

boostbutton2.jpg

i have the perfect place to mount it, next to the headlight switch.here is the switch blank next to it.

dashblank.jpg

using a dremel i cut out a hole to fit the switch - here it is fitted to the blank

boostbutton.jpg

i now have two other gauges left to mount. I decided to put these where my ashtray is as i dont smoke i wont miss it!

first i made a carboard template of where the ashtray face

facetemplate.jpg

i the knocked up a flat piece of fibreglass and copied the tmeplate onto that

template2.jpg

heres the fibreglass all cut out

fibreglassface.jpg

quickly went into the car to test fit it

facefittedtocar.jpg

thats all im doing for tonight as ive got man flu lol n im goin bed

update, managed to get the engine in the car!

heres some progress pics

started striping out the bay,starting with the fuel metering head and airbox

airboxremoved.jpg

forgot to take some other photos but i took the front f the car off, disconnected all pipes and wires etc.here is the engine waiting to come out.

enginereadyliftout.jpg

as the engine was out i thought it would be best to change the clutch.heres old and new side by side

nerwnoldclutch.jpg

new clutch and pressure plate fitted to the engine

clutchfitted.jpg

heres the new engine dropped in (praise the lord! )

enginefitted2.jpg

wires loook a mess but i have wrapped them up and tied them properly

enginefitted.jpg

today when i got in from work i stuck the new fuel metering head on, the intercooler (cant really see it) and some of the piping

enginebay.jpg

pretty close pipework

intercoolerpiping.jpg

turbo pics

turbo.jpg

turbo-1.jpg

and finally, inlet manifold and some of the turbo piping on

enginebay2.jpg

tiny update

got the pillar guages in and all wired up, was a pain to get the thing back on! (all the wires are hidden now)

gaugesincar.jpg

got my lambda bung welded into my exhaust by my neighbour (cheers john!)

lambdabungweldedin.jpg

engine is so nearly done, all that is left is to put my expansion tank back in hook up the aquamist connect the exhaust up and connect the driveshafts back up.

look at this mess ...will be tidied tho, cant have a german motor with messy wiring!

mess.jpg

engine shots

almostthere2.jpg

almostthere.jpg

yea its a turbo technics conversion.been bored out to 1900, ported n polished etc. 207 bhp on the rolling road printout ive got. just cant wait to drive the thing!

Nice work dude.....was planning to buy that turbo setup off azzturbo but he never got back to me!!!!

Great to see valvers getting boosted as well!

right after having fired the car up i found out that the fith injector wasnt working. this was down to the crap turbo technics ecu not the injector itself. (was going to use an erl mf2 extra injector kit but then more bad luck struck. i was checking things over with my dad, the ecu was resting on the wing and it fell flat bang on the battery.... fried ecu! strangly though the fith injector started to work but nothing else lol.

i got the right hump and decided to go about sorting it the proper way (fith injector is way to crude and not very accurate)

i eventually went for a megasquirt ecu kit. this has to be built from scratch (ie soldering every component on the board!)

doing this meant other parts have to be upgraded or changed completely.

for instance the k jetronic injection system (mechanical injection for those who dont know) has to be ditched for a new fuel rail and electronic injectors, all the turbo piping will change, and various sensors will need to be used in order for the megasquirt system to be used.

ive spent time after work doing the soldering and it is now finished, just waiting on a few other bits before i can fit it to the car.

anyway heres some pics

megasquirt in kit form (v3.0 board)

megasquirt.jpg

megasquirt2.jpg

megasquirt3.jpg

megasquirt4.jpg

at the time of purchase i opted to get the stimulator - this is used to test your wiring as you build it and also to simulate engine ie revs, throttle position etc. I also bought a relay board to make the wiring neater and simpler

heres the stimulator assembled

stimulatorboard2.jpg

and here is the megasquirt assembled

squirtassembled.jpg

squirtassembled2.jpg

some other parts i got

rs turbo intercooler - i will be going bigger at a later date, the turbo technics one i have is not in a very good state and this is almost a straight swap.

rsturboic.jpg

heres the injectors i bought, they are rs cosworth ones so i think they will flow enough for my engine!

injectors.jpg

injector-1.jpg

i had to buy a fuel rail to clear my inlet manifold so i got this one from america

fuelrail.jpg

and finally heres the intake air temp sensor - needed for megasquirt to work

iatsensor.jpg

ive bought some new turbo pipework so im just waiting on the arrival of my audi throttle body. standard 16v corrado one doesent have a throttle position sensor and the audi one does - straight swap as well!

i also need a fuel pressure regulator and some mk2 gti injector seats and i can put it on the car!

measured up and cut the turbo piping today

heres a few pics of air filter pipe

turbopiping.jpg

airfilter.jpg

and these pics are of the intercooler to throttle body piping - if you are wondering why my inlet manifold is silver its cos ive put the old one on as the throttle body on it is the same shape as the one im expecting to recieve.

turbopiping2.jpg

turbopiping3.jpg

turbopiping4.jpg

little update really. managed to get the code onto the megasquirt ecu and had it fully running on the pc with simulator board so im well chuffed about that.

my fse fuel pressure regulator turned up and so did my audi throttle body (with throttle position sensor) in a broken state. sent that back and got one from a scrappie for 15 quid.

managed to get the injector seats from vw also.

few pics

new injector seats next to the old k jet injector seat

newandoldinjectorseats.jpg

fuel rail fitted to the inlet manifold

inletwithrail2.jpg

inletwithrail.jpg

managed to make up the loom for the injectors as seen in this pic

backofmanifold.jpg

and heres a pic of the upper half of the inlet manifold with the audi throttle body screwed on ( it visually looks the same as the old one but has the throttle sensor on the bottom) i also decided to polish the are around the lettering to bring out the writing more.

polishedinlet.jpg

this weekend ill be putting that all back on the car. All im waiting on now is the wideband lambda controller and some few other stupid bits. So close now!

I'm currently rebuilding a 16v engine, and possibly planning on putting a turbo on it. I to am going down the MS route. Can I ask how your planning on driving the ignition? Its the one part of Megasquirt I don't know quite what to do!

I'm currently rebuilding a 16v engine, and possibly planning on putting a turbo on it. I to am going down the MS route. Can I ask how your planning on driving the ignition? Its the one part of Megasquirt I don't know quite what to do!

There are a couple of ways to do it, you can either just run fuel only from the megasquirt and retain the existing distributer and coil , or you can use the MS to run the spark as well, using a trigger wheel (mounted on the lternator pulley), Hall sensor and Ford EDIS module and coilpack. The former is much simpler, and makes the whole installation a little easier to cope with, if you are a novice, but for better tuning potential go for the squirt and spark option...

Well, at least that's how I see it :)

I'm just trying to work out which is going to be the best. The 16v's have a certain amount of spark control don't they? can this be controlled from the MS ECU using the hall sensor?

Nice work waynos!

Be very interested to see how you get on with the MS, having tried it on my VRT it was pretty good.

Just don't give me any ideas for my 16v, it's staying standard!

sorry for the late reply, yea the ms ecu can control your spark using the original dizzy etc or you can use a coil pack if you wanted.ive stuck with the dizzy option.

as for you crazy dave sod keeping the 16v standard you want a turbo, you know it makes sense

anyways a few more pics

heres where i mounted the intake air temp sensor (its in the rubber part that connects to the throttlebody

iatsensor-1.jpg

iatsensor2.jpg

and my wideband kit turned up!

wideband.jpg

wideband2.jpg

i kno its not much but ive been busy, but im back on the case! also changed the turbo for a t28

wayne

Good stuff! I see you went for the a/f gauge too!

I'm halfway through installing the same kit! It's not too bad a job, there is quiet a bit of wiring to route though.

yea i got the gauge with it,kinda pissed cos all the ones i got match n this doesnt lol. i did see quite a few wires but once everything is up and running i plan to get rid of the original vw loom and redo only the ones that are needed.

totally off subject but i went and sat in it today.first time in months and i cant wait to drive it again

The VRT is more than enough to keep me happy :D driving a standard valver every day just makes the VRT feel even quicker :shock:

It might get an MS system fitted at some point, especially as I have one sitting in the garage at the moment. But only if the K jet starts to play up.

Keep the pics coming though, sure quite a few people on here are either looking at MS or turbo or both!

right managed to get a little bit more done.

changed the t 25 turbo for a t 28 (direct swap) however the turbo had to be pretty much stripped so that the compressor outlet faced the correct way

turboinbits.jpg

turbo reassembled

turboreassembled.jpg

i put the exhaust manifold and the turbo back on and got most of the pipework back on

some close pipework!

closepipework.jpg

engineasitstands2.jpg

had to figure out where to mount the fuel pressure regulator. found the ideal spot. as the cold start injector wont be used i decided to make a plastic blanking plate and use the bracket for the fpr to hold it in place.

the cold start injector hole

coldstarthole.jpg

heres the bracket and the plastick blank.

fprbracket.jpg

heres the finished article

fprfitted.jpg

shite weather has meant ive hardly got anything done on the car. got the driveshafts back on. leaving the exhaust to be done(gonna get one done once its up and running)

i wasnt really feeling the position i made for the gauges (in place of the ashtray) so i made up a panel out of wood to go below it. flattened it down with fine sand paper and gave it loads of coats of black flexable bumper paint. heres the results

newgaugepod2.jpg

with the oil pressure and air fuel gauges ( oil guage will be changed but i cudnt be arsed wasting more money just yet as this one came with the car and works fine)

newgaugepod.jpg