Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

annoying vibration! clutch, gearbox or exhaust?

Since having a custon SS exhaust fitted my C's not been behaving itself! its fine if i drive very sensibly, but if i put my foot down in first or second i get massive vibrations which i can feel in the pedels, steering wheel and gearstick, and it sounds awful! third is a bit ropey over 4500 too.

When they fitted the exhaust they had to remove a big double spring thing from where the downpipes connect to the manifold, they replaced it with a different type of hinge type thing which they said should be fine.

I'm really not sure if the vibrations are from them taking that out, or if my gearbox is broken or if the clutch isnt engaging properly, and i dont know how to find out! I want to know its not something else before i go back to the place i got the exhaust and complain, so i dont look stupid!

Since having a custon SS exhaust fitted my C's not been behaving itself!

if you paid someone to put an exhaust on, why are they not checking what the noise they've made is? Even if it is not the exhuast they should be willing to show that to you.

do you know if your engine mounts are ok?

I impression I got from the blokes that did it was that they'd just started the car up, not actually driven it so they wouldnt have heard the noise.

I'm planning on taking it back to them, i just dont want to go in and say "look what you've done! its broken!! :( " for them to go...actually its your gearbox, you idiot!

I've got no idea about the engine mounts, it was fine in all gears and at all rev's before the exhaust so thats the only thing i can think of!

This "big double spring thing" wouldn't happen to be the front pipe flexi joint by any chance! This flexible joint can be re-located by design into another point in the front pipe but i would strongly recommend that a degree of flex is retained into any system. The engine will move with acceleration and deceleration therefore so will the upper end of the exhaust.

its fixed! :D the downpipes were knocking on something underneith, so they squashed the pipe a bit for more clearance and it's loads better! still vibrates a bit over 6000rpm but then you'd expect that ;) The guy thought it was the CV joints to start with, but couldnt find anything wrong. They did find an oil leak though! argh!