Sign in to follow this  
diggerbucket

wheel bearings rear

If they are not noisy and feel smooth you could just try nipping them up a bit? No point replacing them if they are ok.

If you do however, VW are the best and yeah the races will bang out no bother.

Diggerbucket's right - they may only need adjusting but whatever you do don't overtighten them or they might seize. You should be able to move the large washer without too much force with the tip of a screwdriver.

GSF rear wheel bearings are rubbish, I've gone through 2 sets in 20,000 miles. In the process of replacing them with VAG ones, twice the price but quality stuff.

Agree no point in changing them if there not growning... Just nip them up a bit. won't take much, but do use a new split pin.

Before my car went in for a MOT last week i did exactly this. sounds like you just have some slight play.

Could be that the stub axle/rear disc has worn slighty and that is why you are getting a groaning.

Hi Lads,

Mine just started screaming last night, gonna change out tomorrow morning, take it there is an inner and an outer, best replace both i presume. Any tricky things to look out for as i haven't done them on the c before? Using original VAG ones and new split pins from reading this thread. Are they easy enough to get out?

Cheers

Hi Lads,

Mine just started screaming last night, gonna change out tomorrow morning, take it there is an inner and an outer, best replace both i presume. Any tricky things to look out for as i haven't done them on the c before? Using original VAG ones and new split pins from reading this thread. Are they easy enough to get out?

Cheers

tap the races out bit by bit going round the edge with a punch (if you don't have a suitable puller) and you can also get away with tapping the new ones in using the old bearing race and a hefty hammer.

Cheers

if you do use the old bearing race to push the new one in, make sure it goes in shoulder first, so you've got something to get the punch onto to remove it should it get stuck in the disk!