Sign in to follow this  
ben16v

URGENT HELP: MK4 calipers & G60 front on 16v

hey

need som urgent help with the above, my car is in garage after having New mk4 calipers on the rear and G60 front calipers with goodridge all round.

problem is that the mechanic cant get a good pedal feel, the pedal goes half way down before it starts to act, its been bled and bled and he`s sure therei s no air in the system.

what he`s wondering now is if the mastercylinder needs to be changed? ie mine has a smaller master cylinder and needs the larger one

my car is non abs

any one who`s done this conversion please get in touch

only put this as urgent as its booked for mot tomorrow afternoon and it certainly wony pass like this

many thanks

ben

It's the mk4's... He needs to bleed with the bias valve open and handbrake cables disconnected then pump the pedal about 50 times so they self adjust before connecting handbrake.

so bleed with wheels on fllor with handbreak disconnected then attatch cable and pump till it self adjusts??

thanks mate

Master Cyls are the same by the way, the ABS one is slightly bigger but I have this setup on the G60 with ABS and the TDI without and the TDI pedal feels better...

cheers for the help Supercharged,

i`ve just got baack from the garage, he`s bled the system lots with the load valve open and is sure there is no air, he bled off the master cylinder too (reputable garage by the the way) the hand break cable now works on 2 clicks brilliantly

with the engine off the pedaL is rock solid at the top of the range but when you start the car it starts to sink about 1/4 way with not much feel then locks out about 3/4 down, this is stationary

on the move the feel is pretty similar to how it was before (moving on 256mm fronts) just that it has a bit more travel.

its worse at low speed (10mph) compared to above 35ish where it feels ok

for the record its had new rear calipers and pads on 18mnth old rear discs, used G60 calipers and discs up front with new pads, goodridge hoses all round and new fluid.

does anybody think it will improve as the discs and pads bed in?

:(

It will definately improve as the pads bed in, but whether that's your whole problem I wouldn't like to say.

andy, thanks mate, just panicking a bit as its got no tax and mot is tomorrow, so not much chance to get them bed in, and of course i cant get tax til i got MOT :mad:

it turns out that i think i have a 22mm G60 masterv cylinder fitted too?

anyone else with any ideas?

what the quickest way off getting brakes bedded in? lots of heavy breaking???

:cry:

Mine had a bit of a long pedal travel when I had my front G60s fitted with the Mk3 rears (new pads & old disks, new 22mm master cylinder & new flexi hoses)

Jim at Awesome put it down to the rear pads bedding into the old disks & it did get better (plus I suppose I got used to it).

Stopped the car ok mind, especially from motorway speeds, just that it felt a bit longer at lower speeds

I did drive along the dual carriageway & held the handbrake slightly in places just for a few secs. Don't know if it helped or not :oops:

avoid heavy breaking while bedding in the new pads, i fitted new disks and pads on mine and then took the car for a bit of a thrash down some nice private roads up near anglesey and after some heavy breaking the brakes felt awful, i had managed to glaze the pads and craze the surface of the disks they have been squeaky ever since no matter how much copper grease i use, they where cheapo zimmerman disks though so not really that surprising.

Good man - you'll just have to see how they go as they bed in...

Just to confirm - when you cay G60 calipers you do mean off a Corrado G60 don't you (ie not Girling 60 twin pots)

It's just if you have fitted the twin pots then you do need the ABS Master Cyl but currently you have the same MC as any other non ABS corrado which should be fine...

Supercharged, they came off a golf G60 single pots and apparently i`ve got 22mm M/C so yeah hopefully they`ll just bed in, they are 10x better than the 256mm i had on just there is a bit more travel... i dunno

anyway cheers for the help mate, appreciate it

ben

Cool - as above, no heavy braking and if you brake from high speed try and come off the pedal a couple of times... running with the handbrake on a click for short periods of time may help the rears bed in too. If you do it properly you should feel the brakes get better over the next 500 miles...