quicky1980

Re: Quicky's Corrado - Audi 3.2

right, finally decided on the next steps in this project.

Not going to rebuild the vr, Im going to fit an r32, plan to do it early 2009. If I can save up enough and in time I will try and source an r36. So it will be r32/36 with SEAT steering rack, clean bay(not uber smooth yet)

What I will do is build the r32 setup off the car, ie on the subframe in the garage. I'm hoping to have a short down time during the swap. This is because my car is my only transport so will be rellying on public transport to get to work, boo!!

Anyway, I have a question to start this build off, should i go:

Standard R32 ECU and have it de-immobilised, and a few other tweaks. I'm hoping this would keep costs down and keep the running of the engine as OE as possible. In otherwords smooth, and reliable

After market ECU and run big power possibility at a later date. only issue is when fitted would it take ages to get it running right and will this be much more expensive than using OE ecm?

Im sure many more questions will come soon as I start getting parts together. Ive read the posts on the conversion but it has left me with a few issues that I will face when starting the build.

hey there buddy - unfortuntely i can't see your pics as i'm at work :( (will make a point to have a look when i get home)

if you like you can have a squizz at my r32 conversion; which all being well, should be done in the next 2-3 weeks...

i'm also in hereford most weekends, so you could look me up there if you like - 07888701877

i have kept the oem ecu as i think it's definitely the way forward. i don't want to go for stupid power as (IMO) it's pretty pointless just through the front wheels and also i should be getting half decent fuel economy from the factory setup and i don't want to spoil that.

IMO, unless you are converting to 4wd, the factory ecu is the way forward as silly power is just wasted through the front wheels...

Looking good you have transformed that car, like your future plans as well.

You probably dont remember but you sent me some pics of your car ages ago so I could see what it looked like with no rubbing strips different lights etc. Lot of inspiration and now my bodywork is finaly done so thank you

Matt

I cant wait to see it with the conversion mate, will be a challenge and im sure you could suprise quite a few cars round this way!

I amy take you up on your offer pete_griff as I will be in Hereford over teh christmas holidays. I need to ask a few questions about little things like, where to get the manifold, engine support etc.

I'm actually thinking of this as an interim tbh, and would like to use the r32 gear box and have the driveshafts made up. this would be phase 2 of the r32 build and will use the vr6 box to get started. Phase three is 4wd so traction shouldnt be a concern for too long :)

Sorry Leonard but don't remember too well, my memory is awefull. But I'm glad I've helped you in soe way.

Ive suprised a few company reps who try to shag the back of my car with their BMW's on the motor a few times. Love how they ease off when they realise how quick vr rados are.

So it all boils down to cost and shortest down time with the ecm routes. I have no prior experience with aftermarket ecm's so any input with costs, difficulties etc would be a good start for me.

i was pretty much thinking the same questions mate! glad to see someone else is gonna do the same thing im wanting to :)

do the r32 drop straight in bar an engine mount? looking forward to reading the progress mate

i was pretty much thinking the same questions mate! glad to see someone else is gonna do the same thing im wanting to :)

do the r32 drop straight in bar an engine mount? looking forward to reading the progress mate

There is alot of info here : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33931

Only problem with the topic is it's not actually as "definative" as I would have liked it. If I get chance I will do a step by step guide. This depends on how easy it goes lol

But to answer your question, the r32 should drop straigh on the vr's subframe, the front mount may need to be lowered to clear the bonnet strengthening bar (but cant be sure), if you have air con pump the front subframe needs a slight notch made to allow for clearance.

I've read that the vw r32 exhaust manifold wont clear the firewall/bulkhead so an alterantive needs to be bought. But I need to check about audi's r32 setup, I saw a post about these not needing as many "extra" parts to allow for the conversion

from what i've read, the r32 engine fits in without any problems but the 4motion engine needs to be lowered to clear the bonnet strengthening bars.

loverly looking corrado, makes me undecisive on if i want a red or blue VR like yours

Decided to go standard ECU, if needed I will go aftermarket once i start going big power.

Next question, Ive heard audi 3.2 engines fit better into a corrado, I guesse this is due to the exhaust. Any one know if this is true? Or would I still need a manifold making up. Any one know of manifolds that allow for this conversion with 4wd prop shaft?

Do all 4 lambdas still need to be fitted? how are people doing this?

Decided to go standard ECU, if needed I will go aftermarket once i start going big power.

Next question, Ive heard audi 3.2 engines fit better into a corrado, I guesse this is due to the exhaust. Any one know if this is true? Or would I still need a manifold making up. Any one know of manifolds that allow for this conversion with 4wd prop shaft?

Do all 4 lambdas still need to be fitted? how are people doing this?

all four lambdas don't have to be fitted; you can delete the two after the cats if you want to run a single cat, but if you're going down the OEM ecu route, then you may as well fit all four IMO - the last two aren't detrimental to the engine running (they just make sure the cats are doing their job properly etc as far as i'm aware) and you can delete them, but keeping them retains the OEMness of the car and keeps the ecu most happy. you have to run the first two lambdas with the OEM ecu as they are the ones that give it all the information.

(oh and i have all 4 lambdas on my car)

you don't have to lower the front mount to get the engine to clear the bonnet with the r32 lump. as for the exhaust manifold i'm unsure of the exact route/design of the audi manifold - i have heard that it may be easier to get the tt manifold modified to fit (possibly the easier option if you are planning to run it with the 4wd setup). i don't think that the manifold is a straight bolt on fit though in any case - i'm almost certain you'll have to get involved in some sort of jiggery pokery with pipework to make things work.

alternatively if you speak to Pete at dubpower , he could hopefully sort you with a nice aftermarket stainless item if you told him your requirements with the propshaft etc...

thanks Pete, I will go two lambdas then and get the rear two deleted. Ill get the ecu modified to suite when getting the immob deleted.

Ive started to get the parts together now, nothing big like engine etc but just the small things that will hopefully get the build to go smoothly. I hope to start in April when I get my bonus from work.

Anyone local to Peterborough done this conversion?

I cant wait to see you about when the conversion is done, its gona be mental!! Best of luckto you :salute:

This is currently work in progress but thought I would show what I've been trying out. Plenty of space under the reflector of the headlamps to put some LED's. But I need to diffuse the light a little I think.

Standard vs Modified

DSCF1069.jpgDSCF1067.jpg

Looks good

Did the old bolts come off aright. Are they screwed in?

Mine are starting to corrode and paint bubbling.

Im going to do a write up on what I had to do, but the the old bolt are pressed in so used some big mole grips to ease them out. Thoughest part so far is trimming down the bolts and getting the new ones in the wheels.

I'm tempted to paint the wheels a different colour but don't know which yet. :scratch:

Look what was found recently :mad2:

DSCF16751.jpg

I think this occured due to the cowboy repair that was carried out on the rear arch, leaving this area exposed to moisture/damp and lack of under sealent

No idea on if it's repairable or even how much it's going to cost me.

Ahhh thats not good :( hope you get it sorted out!! Should have mine back on the road next month so will have to meet up to take photos :D

Look what was found recently :mad2:

DSCF16751.jpg

I think this occured due to the cowboy repair that was carried out on the rear arch, leaving this area exposed to moisture/damp and lack of under sealent

No idea on if it's repairable or even how much it's going to cost me.

:shock: Hope you can get this sorted, matey!

Right after having an expensive month to sort out the car ready for the mot etc it past 1st time wahoo 8) :clap:

So now starting the r32 project.

Bought some cheap subframes off ebay and as well as getting some driveshafts thrown in for free I also got the vibra technic front mount, the guy didn't even realise! :nuts:

So spent today stripping it down ready for a good clean up

This will support the r32 and thought it best to renew all the bushings etc around the car to better handle the engine.

DSCF2144.jpg

DSCF2147.jpg

DSCF2148.jpg

does any one know the contact details for dutchdubs. I'm trying to find out the cost of the 02M gearbox mount they do.

also can I leave the output shaft to the rear of the car from the 02M gearbox rotating freely? I will end up with 4wd but need to run the car 2wd for a period of time.

any one know if the aftermarket exhausts that allow the conversion of the r32 clear the prop shaft that runs to the rear?

Decided to refit my standard rear lights. But wanted to tint them red...

Picture009.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Also cleaned up the roof rack and put them on the car to see how they look.

Picture021.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Next on the list of things to do is:

Change bolts on the wheels

Clean up subframes and get powder coated

order new bushes etc

polish r32 rocker cover

source r32 wiring

source r32 gearbox

make custom driveshafts

etc etc..

so will be busy for a short while :lol:

ha ha ha, Ive taken them off now. Just wanted to see if they fitted ok etc

I guesse you wont be happy when I tell you I have a tob bar to try on next lol :nuts: