Sign in to follow this  
Yandards

Rear Top Mounts - Don't Skimp On Parts!!

Not a corrado as these are off my mk II golf but it's the same set up and this car is a '92 J with a 162k on the clock.

The dampers were changed in the year before I got the car, so the spring discs must have been a bit of mess then. There was also the smaller washer that sits below the spring disc was missing as well.

The first pic the spring disc has rusted through completely, the spring will not go anywhere as long it is on the car, a cheap way of lowering I suppose!! :wink:

The second pic shows how bad the problem is, the top mount is supposed to sit on top of the spring disc, like the 3rd pic, not in it!

The metal bush that normally sits on top of the spring disc was rusted to what was left of the disc, I had to knock the remains off with a hammer after leaving it to bath in penetrating oil for a few hours.

OMG - never seen them like that. Mine were fine when changed. Even gave mine a lick of ani-rust-paint to make em last even longer.

Very interesting thread - cheers 8)

Is this why some tatty Mk2's sometimes seem to be "dragging their @rses"?

Nah that's just their fat chicks/mates/mahoosive sub-box made of 2" MDF (deleate as applicable) in the back! :lol:

easy to check?

Easyish.

Difficult to see up into the wheel arch but if you drop the rear top mounts off the inside of the car you will soon see.

Probably wont notice much of a change in handling, especially if they have always been like it as the spring is still located in the correct place on the car, just a bit lower..

my rear suspension has a funny creak, its always been there since i had car.

i'm worried now :lol:

i know the front top mounts have been done

My Valver had the exact problem and yes her arse was sitting on the floor which in turn made her nose stick up.

Handling was... well lets say intresting.

My valvers arse is sat right down, but the top mounts weren't in too bad a nick when I replaced the shocks. I hope it's just saggy springs, but I need to have it all off to fit new bump stops etc.