Sign in to follow this  
LisaK

Powertec induction kits for g60s?

I'm thinking about changing my Jetex air filter on my G as the rubber seal around where the pipe goes in has split and also because I don't want blue in my engine bay.

I've been told that the Powertec induction kits are really good (but this is from someone that owned a Toyo GT4) and I just wondered if anyone here had any knowledge of these kits, good/bad points, etc. before I fork out a ton to find that it's actually pile of poo!

Cheers,

L

my 2p but an air box with a kn panel filter is just as good, route a cold air feed in there and alls good, taking out the snorkel will give more sound and bit more breathability also will a few holes on the wing side, or you can hava look at the swg induction set ups, around £200 though! each to their own hey

yup i third the standard airbox! nothing better, had some induction kit on when i bought it, terrible thing, get a good K+N panel filter on it.

Do nothing. Stock air filter in the stock box. You may loose 1hp max but i think i would much rather save my supercharger from the grit ALL aftermarket filters seem to allow through .

Do nothing. Stock air filter in the stock box. You may loose 1hp max but i think i would much rather save my supercharger from the grit ALL aftermarket filters seem to allow through .

Exactly my feelings on the matter. And if its good enough for the g-man then its good enough for me!!

Most VW's seem to have good standard induction. If you want to lavish some money on your G then an oil cooler would be a good place to start if you haven't already done so.

Hmm, so everyone thinks standard airbox? Not sure if I fancy a big plastic thing put back in my engine bay, although I suppose my girly side of "oh but it doesnt look as pretty" is trying to beat down the more logical side :oops:

How can I do nothing if I don't have standard induction? It has a Jabba heatshield and Jetex cone filter so I'd still have to spend money putting the standard box and filter back in. I agree with the amount of grit though - I was surprised at the amount of crap that came out of it when I cleaned it yesterday!

Applause to Darren for the senible comment here :-). After having read a little more around the topic, also on German forums,some time ago, I came to finally realise that the filter characteristics of anything other than the oem paper element inside the standard airfilter box is pants, including that of all the "sacred" Pipercross and K&N stuff, as nothing filters as well as the oem paper element. Now this isn't so much an issue with NA-engines (where the engine simply burns any crap that does make it through the filter), but on our supercharged beauties, there's a scroll between the engine and the filter :-)

That scroll rotates at speeds of up to 13000 rpm, is made of soft material (magnesium alloy), so any particle that does make it through the filter will hit the scroll's surface at high speed, leaving a nice dent :-( Over time the scroll will start to look like the moon's surface.

Tempest

Can't comment on the G60, but i have been running a JR cone filter on the G40 for 35k, and have had no issues. Filter is cleaned and oiled at most once a year. Agreed, the airbox may filter better, but you lose that wonderful noise, which is half the reason to own a G-Ladered car