Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

leather re-colouring finished at last

well today i finally did my leather front recaro's to match the rear bench i re-trimmed myself. i got the kit from http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/index.htm i cant fault them, i sent the cheque on a saturday, with my sample of leather, on wednesday the kit arrived :shock: it has everything you need (well almost)

the process is so easy.

step1, using the cotton wool which is placed into the coarse 3M pad, which is soaked in the leather pre-treatment, all this does is get the protective layer off the leather, and gives a key for the dye, use the gloves provided, as the crap that comes off is like tar.

step2, use the mohair pad to put a base coat on, it looks a right mess, but all comes good, get in all the nooks and crease's in the leather,

step3, using the air brush that is supplied, put on 2 thin coats of the leather dye, the first just covers up the base coat, the second coat really takes the colour, and gives a really good flat covering.

step4, when the dye is dry (about 30mins) then use the leather sealent, just one coat is required, but i put two coats on the drivers seat.

i was very pleased in how all the crease marks have vanished, even the drivers bolster wear has virtually gone, the whole lot took me about 4 hours to do, that included all the waiting for the different coats to dry.

i'm very impressed with this kit,

karl.

if you have any questions, i will try and answer them, so all you people on here with boring black leather :lol: get some colour in ya cars.

oh yeh, here is the pic of the wear on the drivers bolster.

i have more pics if you need to see them, and the whole kit only cost £55 delivered, the kit for a whole car will cost about £90.

yeh it still feels/looks like oem leather steve, and i had the matt finish, i was told the gloss looks very much like plastic.

karl

the air brush was very easy to use, unlike the old ones from years ago, it never got blocked, and there was no "spitting" of the paint.

heres a pic of what you get in the kit.

was there much product left after the job?

did you keep cleaning it till all the black came off?

are you happy with the job? any bits your not happy with?

if you have any more pics id like to see em

yeh i did have some dye left steve, i think thats because over night, the dye has soaked into the leather, and it will need another coat.

as for cleaning it, you just scrub away till it feels like a dry chamois?? this is when you now you have taken all off the factory sealent.

i was very very happy yesterday, but today, due to me being tight/unsure about how much dye to use, i saw a few dark patches and thought shite. so next weekend when its nice and sunny, i will give it another coat. then i will take some more pics. but overall i'm very happy with the results.

karl

them are good results, i posted a link to these guys a few months ago when i was looking at different options for leathering my seats. good job. :thumbleft:

s.g did you ever re colour your seats? id be intrested to know how it came out and waht you used

any more links for other compnays that sell similar kits?

s.g did you ever re colour your seats? id be intrested to know how it came out and waht you used

any more links for other compnays that sell similar kits?

hi i never got round to re colouring any seats i was just looking atdifferent options of dyeing leather as i was looking into buying loads of different odd pieces to do a full leather trim, you will be amazed that you can pick up undyed leather for very cheap prices.

anyway with what research i did this company that kadvr6 used i found was the only one that could dye any colour to any colour and they have loads of examples on there web site and forum i dont think you will find a better company, also good value :wink:

Looks good so far KADVR6, and excellent choice of colour! As a result, I am seriously considering dying my grey interior now, but playing it safe with black.

Are you keeping the plastic trim in your corrado the same, or are you spraying/trimming it?

been well ill this week, caught Shingles from some some kind person :x

so gonna be doing the 2nd coat this weekend.

karl

ive just bought tt seats in black and was considering getting them re wrapped in grey leather but after seeing the results i think ill give this a try.. good job mate cant wait to see the latest pics... and the whole interior together

andy

well i have been ill for the last 2/3 weeks, had a realy bad dose of shingles :( just had no energy at all, and a constant migrane. but think i'm over it :)

so havent got the seats in the car yet :oops: but i have got some scirocco subframes waiting to be welded onto the seats. i wasnt very happy with the dying after it had dried, there were some darker blotches showing through the red dye :( but just gave it another coat, and all has come good, no black showing through :D and a very very unifom red colour.

i will be getting these seats in, by the latest next weekend, so i will take some pice of the seats in the car then, but overall i'm very pleased with the results.

cheers Stan, i have some rear leather (black) door cards that i will be dying very soon, but i'm having trouble in locating a pair of late spec front door cards. but i'm sure a set will pop up soon????

oh yeh, i have also dyed the gearstick gaitor red 8)

karl

suprised how good the dye has covered over the black, what are those front seats your using?