Sign in to follow this  
cardboard

Tuning questions?

I was wondering what the standard specs are for the 2.0, G60 and VR6 corrados?

and also how easy is tuning each engine and what can be expected at what cost?

does anyone recomend one above the other?

thanks

thanks i looked at them but was confused by the fact that the 1.8 appears to be quicker to 60 and have a guicker top speed than the 2.0?? is this actually correct

and also how easy is tuning each engine and what can be expected at what cost?

how long is a piece of string (twice the distance from the end to middle, I know....).

You can spend what you like really, best bet is to use the search function and see what your options are.

at 21 your gonna be struggling to insure and run a tuned VR

best bet would be to get a model in mind, as looking for all the options on all the models could probably take a while

and yus that is correct about the 1.8 and 2.0 valvers

2.0 8v vs a 1.8 16v....

But there was also a 2.0 16v I believe, so god knows where that fits in.

Essentially, there's very little difference between the valvers in performance, but the 16v variants will cost you more to insure.

I'd personally look at insurance and how much that's going to cost you - valvers are group 16, VRs are group 18 and the G60 is one of the two as well.

The valvers have a fair number of options to tune them, but without spending big bucks, you're not going to get G60 performance.

The G is the easiest one to tune and get 200bhp+ numbers out of with fairly standard hardware.

Tuning the VR is an expensive task - the most bang for your bucks is a supercharger, but it's still a £1k+ mod...not to mention how much it would cost to insure a modified, 300bhp car at 21.

Putting the exhaust cam from a 1.8 16v into the 2.0 16v gives a healthy increase in BHP. It was posted on here that it could be as much as 15 bhp, if so that would increase power from 136bhp to around the 150 mark then if you slapped in a K&N panel filter with cold air feed, remove the cat, perhaps a nice exhaust (if there aint one on already) and a good setting up, you could be hovering around the standard 160bhp G60 power without superharger worries.

Just a thought matey, but which ever route you decide i'd be ringing round loads of insurance companies because it ultimately may come down to the insurance company making the choice for you. Corrado's have always been an expensive car to insure, no idea why because save for the VR there not very fast cars at all in standard guise.

the 2l 16v has less bhp than the 1.8 16v because it has a milder inlet cam,cat and different inlet manifold.

Tuning the G is all about the torque ;) It's nice to just queeze the throttle without changing gear and feeling the pull.

There's a G60 tuning article which covers the basic in the Knowledge Base (written by me :mrgreen: )

Insurance-wise, the 1.816v is the best to go for being a group 15. The VR6 is 18 (Storms are 19!) and all the others are 17 (inc the 2.0 8v :? ).

The 1.8 16v is faster to 60mph than the 2.0 16v largely because of the lack of cat. IMHO the 2.0 16v is the one to go for because the engine is a fair bit more torquey + you get later exterior/interior. If you put a 1.8 16v KR inlet cam in (or whole KR head), get the head flowed, decat etc, you'll be pushing out 160-180bhp.

Your best bet is to drive them all to get a feel for the different models- they are all very different. Personally I'd go with the VR.

dont discount the valvers as the 'lesser' engine either, my 1.8 16v was just as much fun to drive as my VR - probably more so in some respects - just not as fast. VR power is lazy but formidable, I found the valver was a bit more fun to rag about TBH!