Sign in to follow this  
vornwend

Storm Grills and Oil Temperature

My Storm has the standard, 3 slat, colour coded grill with just the bottom slat open. I noticed last summer that the oil temperature would often go over 116(sometimes into the 20's) on long runs. I also know that standard VR grills have all 3 slats open (why the difference :? ). Anyway as an experiment I've picked up a very cheap black grill on e-bay (99p!), couple of the fixing tabs are broken but I'll try and bodge something to secure it.

Does anybody have a view on whether it would make an appreciable difference to oil temperature :?: Having had high oil temperatures last year I've watched this with a bit more interest than normal and there is definitely a relationship between ambient temperature and oil temperature but I don't know if this will fix it in the summer months or whether I need to consider much more expensive options like an oil cooler.

Cheers.

Vornwend

An oil cooler probably isnt a bad idea and is the route i intend to go down.. I wouldnt have said those oil temps were outrageous..

As for the top 2 slat closed grill it isnt specific to the Storm as ive ssen other Vrs with them on. I guess it must have been a batch that VW had at the time, all Storms were fitted with them..

Ive just got my hands on a closed one for special occasions as my original one was broken and have a fully open open one that i use all the time...

move the horns to under the wheel arch where the intercooler would mount, that increases airflow to the rad

I had a standard VR Grill with one open slat at the bottom and 2 closed sections above. Having spent time with my junior hacksaw, carefully slicing the slats open I can honestly say it made bugger all difference to engine temps both in summer or winter.

If you are concerned about temps (which by the way seem normal I regularly see 122 in the summer) then get yourself a Mocal Oil Cooler which should effectivley keep your oil below 100 degrees unless you are relally pushing things.

Thanks. Interesting comments. Not exactly convinced by the open slat route hence the experiment with the 99P grill! I'll give it a go anyway.

Did also think of taking a blade/drill :twisted: to the closed slats but I think the risk of cracking/crazing the surrounding paint is too high.

Still intrigued to know why VW had 2 versions of the grill tho:?:

on mine bottom slat open other 2 closed strange really! Anyway with 3 slats open more chance of getting a stone or something chipping your radiator!

i read somewhere that vw were going to fit a flat front like the 1990 passat

this type

passat

as almost all the cooling comes in the vents below the bumper but in the end they went for a grill to suit the more sporty image of he corrado

Rob

I was driving triggers VR6 yesterday (M reg , 136K miles) for a while and noticed that the oil didn't go above 96, no matter how hard I tried :lol: - it was pretty warm yesterday and I was driving fairly hard for around 30 mins so was suprised to see it keep so cool. The car hasn't got a mocal fitted.

I've had alot of rados and the oil and water temps differ quite dramatiacly. If you're seeing oil temps of 120deg, i'd suggest that some of the cooling parts might need changing.

I fitted a mocal on my VR along with a new rad and other cooling parts.

I am seeing 116 degrees when I am caning it and it stays at about 100 degrees when stationary.

I would think this is too high. Do you guys agree?

my oil temp normally sits around 90 - 96 when raging it, 84 when driving sensibly (rarely) since i got the new coolant pipes and housing

My temps aren't too bad- usually around 106, and never going above 112. I'm changing the stat for a Neuspeed 70 degree one and will give the coolant a good flush and change. Gonna use only 2l of G12+ (see Goldie's thread). I'll let you know how this affects the temps.

This VR temp concern is as old as the car it concerns. VRs get hot. Its just the way they are. narrow angle v6 in a tightly fitting engine bay.

I thought about the mocal, bought one and decided that if the old beast has made it this far then it wasnt necessary, sold it and replaced the stadt, coolant flush and new water pump instead.

I am happy that if she gets too hot then maybe it is time to lay up a little and let the other cars catch up again :)

With regards the coolant system, It is all new over the last 2 years and I still see high temps. Walsey, Im guessing Trigs low temps might be something to do with the obd2 setup? not sure, but either way the oil is still doing its job in a hot engine, IIRC the oil doesn't start to break down till way over 140 degrees. so go out and enjoy the roar.

My VR's original grill was the 2 top slats closed version and when I went for an FK badgeless with all the slats open it made no difference.

But I have to say much like Foggystorm my oil temp sits at about 86-90 when driving normally, creeping up to about 96-98 if on a bit of a spirited run.

Strange how they all behave so differently.....

Well I fitted the 3 open slat grill today and took it out on a regular run I do of about 20 miles (no traffic, non motorway,quite pacy). Oil temp never went over 96 which I'm certain is 6 to 10 degress less than I'd normally see... so it seems to be making a difference for me.

Picking up on Goldies comment about the open slat version being a batch and not model specific I just wonder if VW made em for cold climates like Scandanavia (or Scotland) but they ended up getting onto UK deliveries by mistake??

I don't pay much attention to water temperature but seeing the odd comment on here I watched that too - stayed steady at 90/92 all the way.

Kinda like the fact that our cars are tempermental - gives em some character :mrgreen:

Vornwend