Sign in to follow this  
marcus

Boost controllers

I dont know anything about these (obviously they control the boost :roll: ), just wondered if anyone can recommend decent units.

Ive only heard of the Blitz specR at the moment.

Don't know much about them myself either apart from they are popular on turbo'd cars. Can they be used on supercharged engines? All the top Japanese tuners make them like Greddy, HKS etc, ranging from around the £300-£600 mark. Best bet is to look at the Jap mags such as Banzai or look on the Jap car forums for boost controllers coz they all use them. When i was trawling the classifieds for a jap performance car it was hard to find one that wasn't running a boost controller.

Depends on why you want the boost 'controlled'.

If it's to just set a particular boost level and forget about it, a simple, mechanical gated 'T' valve will do, and I recommend the Turbosmart "Boost Tee".

If you want to do clever things like restricting boost for any given gear, or rpm, then you need an electronic boost controller, such as the Turbosmart Eboost2.

If you want a really simple life, just stick the relevant psi spring in your wastegate.

Some controllers claim to eliminate boost creep and all manner of other stuff, but personally I feel it's all a load of horse.... you'd be better off putting the money toward a decent standalone that has boost controlling functions built in.

There's an imporatant distinction betweek pikey bleed valves and what cheesewire suggested which is a gated valve. The former will spike and the latter will hold boost steady. This one is what most of the guys on the SXOC use who don't go electronic:

http://82.110.105.84/apexperformance.co ... 267085bd20

Most people who use an electronic device there go for the Greddy Profec B. It's well priced, reliable and very small:

http://82.110.105.84/apexperformance.co ... 267085bd20

EDIT: You could also go for an adjustable actuator. More difficult to adjust potentially but also more reliable:

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/conten ... nc=product

Yeah, you want to avoid boost spikes if at all possible! They can lean off the mix and put a hole in your piston/s, although standalone ECUs can often account for that with a properly configure Boost compensation map.

Chipped OE management won't know any different as it's main load site is MAF, rather MAP (in terms of the VR6).

Right! its all mind boggling for me at the moment.

Apparently my 'spring' is adjustable in the wastegate.

I get a RS BOV with the kit and 38mm external wastegate.

I want the safest most reliable option...not really interested in playing with the boost all the time although going to have it set low for a short while, then increase the power when im used to it.!

Find out what spring your wastegate comes with (usually 8psi) and just run a vac line to it from the manifold, job done, no more than 8psi for you sir.

Then, get yourself a TurboSmart "boost tee". Set the boost to what ever you want, lock it, forget it ;-)

An electronic controller can give you the option to have different settings. You can have a granny setting for going to the shops or when you lend it to the other half ;) and a high boost setting for more "progressive" driving. Electronic devices do hold the boost rock solid having seen lots of RR print outs with cars running such controllers.

I think Marcus may be going standalone at some point, in which case he'd be better off saving his £500 for an Eboost2 and putting it toward a DTA P8Pro, which has full PWM turbo control via a common or garden VW N75 valve ;-)

You're right though, some of those aftermarket controllers can do cool things, but the good ones are expensive!

Son of a Beesting, That looks pretty good, bout the same price as:

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/blitz/boost-dsbc.html

which ive been advised is also good.

cheesewire, The spring is 17-7PH. I have a 3layer head gasket to safely run upto 17psi if i want.

Will also have integrated engine management (fuel & ignition control) so sont know how this affects going standalone ??

Thanks everyone for the info. its all helping me learn :)