Sign in to follow this  
slant

Head gasket change

Im not and "engine guy", I can do a little, but mostly I do electronics and fabrication. Unfortunately since I got my corrado, Ive had to learn how to do some mechanical work as well. Its just to expensive to get all this stuff fixed. My question is how bad is it to do a head gasket on a 1990 G60, stock engine. I will, as always have some help from a mechanic, and I did take auto shop in school, but he has chronic athsma, so I have do most of the work. Am I getting into something I cant handle? Ive talked to a 6 mechanics and only 2 will even touch it.

Its a straight forward job,if everything goes smoothly...quite rarely does though on older motors.

Problems can crop up when you come to removing the exhaust manifold nuts...often they are seized/snapping studs/rounded off nuts due to corrosion etc...

It can all be sorted,but patience and cleanliness are important.

Its worth replacing all of the studs in the head while you are at it.

Neil.

If you seperate the downpipe from the exhaust you dont need to take the dreaded manifold bolts off

thats a good way to do it. disconnect the throttle body and downpipe - the you get lift the head off with both manifolds (may differ slightly with a 16v or whatever you have). that way you can either laeve the studs and nuts as they are or change them all once the head is off which is much easier. it'll be pretty heavy so get a friend to help

I'm no expert on G60s, but isn't it a bit different if you have a supercharger?

Can you disconnect the exhaust and inlet pipes from the supercharger and take off the head that way?

And of course if you have to do work to the head itself, you will probably need to completely strip it bare which will entail undoing those manifold nuts, but at least you will be able to work on it on the bench rather than fiddling about around the back off the engine bay.

Best wishes

RB