Sign in to follow this  
MillSpeed

Driving a car with no tax

My tax ran out at the end of April and I didn’t buy any until the 7th May. Is that okay or was I illegal for 7 days? After all it wouldn’t really matter when I bought it in May, would it?

Did you drive it on the road during that time?

The correct answer BTW is "No officer"

It doesn't matter whether it was driven on the road or not, if it is not taxed then it must be declared SORN.

My tax ran out at the end of April and I didn’t buy any until the 7th May. Is that okay or was I illegal for 7 days? After all it wouldn’t really matter when I bought it in May, would it?

Did you drive it on the road during that time?

The correct answer BTW is "No officer"

It doesn't matter whether it was driven on the road or not, if it is not taxed then it must be declared SORN.

It's only 7 days... you have 14 to retax the car IIRC.

Well I used my renewal form and the guy in the post office didnt say anything. What I mean is no matter when you buy your tax this month is will still run out on the same day.

It's only 7 days... you have 14 to retax the car IIRC.

100% not true - don't mean to be a twa t but i got done for being 5 days late - it's important that people don't gamble

About two weeks before your vehicle tax disc expires you should receive a renewal application form V11 'application for a vehicle tax disc' or a V85/1 'application for a vehicle tax disc for some heavy goods vehicles' from DVLA. You can use the renewal form to re-tax the vehicle as long as the date from which the vehicle tax is to run, the vehicle details and the taxation class printed on the form are all still correct. The application form will specify the required supporting documentation and the payment of vehicle tax, if needed.

If you do not receive this reminder the law still requires you to either tax the vehicle or, if it is being kept off road, make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

absolutely no leeway

Just as an aside, you can also only re-tax a vehicle on-line providing DVLA have sent you a tax reminder and/or the V5 is in your name.

Also Norwich union direct do a good insurance idea - http://www.dayinsure.com whereby you can insure ANY car for 24hrs for £10.50! Great for collecting a new car and staying legal, or if you decide in the end not to buy, you've not expended too much money/effort!

It is an offence to drive a car without displaying a valid tax disc regardless of where you are going. I renewed my tax disc online the day before it ran out and thought I'd be ok. I called the DVLA just to be sure and was told that whilst my car was officially taxed, the cops (if they spotted me) would give me a ticket for not displaying a valid tax disc.

You know what's deeply unfair about this system?

They are allowed to send AUTOMATIC fines if you're a day late. But you are not allowed to set up an automatic payment. That is so unfair. and perry>

me been a bit of a rogue, I bought mine with no tax drove it round for a few weeks without any, went round to mates at 11 at night left at 5 in the morning I had a ticket on it, ignored the ticket then regis tered the car a few weeks later the v5 came through the door followed by a fine, anyway still havent paid the fine only recieved the one leter so hopefully got a way with it ive heard if you ignore them theres not a lot they do about it, Unfortunatly my first rado was outside my bros garage for a few days gettin fixed with no tax on it, the coucil towed it away and it was seconds away from gettein crushed at a scrap metal yard which pissed me off!