Sign in to follow this  
staffs_til_i_die

People tell me I'm smart but clearly I'm a bit fick...

AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I can do maths. Dammit - I got an A in my GCSE (although this was many years ago). Why the f**k did we learn about Pythagoras? Wheels are ROUND not frickin triangular. And as for simultaneous equations. What the f**k??!!

I have spent many hours trying to calculate what wheels + tyres I need for my 16v C (4 x 100), in the hope that I can pick up a bargain on eBay. I have scoured the forum and have seen so much advice my brain now hurts. It's all very confusing.

This is what I've worked out so far:

My car currently has scuffed original 6J x 15H2, ET35, running 195/50R15

I used the tyre bible and did some maths:

* Radius of wheel = 7.5 inches (half the diameter) = 190.5mm

* Section height = 50% of 195mm = 97.5mm

* So the rolling radius for this car to maintain is 190.5 + 97.5 = 288 mm

Then I got stuck. I want some 17" rims. I'd like to go a bit wider (but not too much). I'd like to avoid having my arches rolled as this costs cash money. Most of the wheels I like (e.g. Audi TT, Porsche) are all 5 stud, so I might have to get adaptors (more money + more maths = more brain ache = more beer needed = more money)

I keep seeing wheels but not tyres. But by the time I've bought the rims, paid for petrol to collect them, bought tyres, adapters, got them balanced - it would probably have been easier and cheaper to buy a new package. Also, eBay things go quickly. Often by the time I think I've got it sorted, I log back on and the damned things have sold.

Maybe I should admit defeat, and buy some new wheels, and get the shop to do the calculations. But I was forced to do maths for years - there must have been a reason!

I know this comes up all the time and you must get sick of it, but any help would be really appreciated.

Also - I notice that there seems to be some definite preferences for wheels on here (BBS for example). I'm new to all this, and I know it's down to personal taste, but anyone have ideas on wheels to avoid (either because they're shite or because generally you find them on chavved up Novas?)

Cheers,

Chris