Sign in to follow this  
Chris Langdon

coolant leaking

hi can any body help, my corrado is leaking. At first i thought it was an oil or power steering fluid leak as its very close to the power steering pump, put a small dish under and found that it was anti freeze so i guess its the water pump. which has peed me off as ive just replaced my electric pump for leaking :( ( the small electric one on the right side of the head!!!)

Is it a hard job as there is not alot of room down there to move how the hell do u get it out. Has any one done it them self and how long does it take. I would like to do the job my self but it looks very diffcult!!! does any one have a manual or step by step instructions,something to aid me

many thanks

Chris L

If this is a VR6 (can't think it would be anything else with an electric pump) then it could be the water pump or plastic coolant transfer pipe but I can’t see it being the thermostat housing unless the water is running down the transfer pipe and dripping off at the lower end of the pipe. Replacing the water pump means removing the poly V belt (you need an M8 set screw that is about 40-mm long) and then releasing the front and right hand engine mounts, loosening the gearbox mount top bolt and then lifting the engine up high enough to remove the WP pulley and then undo and remove the WP so it can be pulled out over the inner wing.

I seem to have the same problem, Ive got a new pollybelt and water pump, and a mate on hand to do the tough bits like jacking up the engine, but is there anything else I need to know before we embark on it? anything else worth replacing?

I seem to have the same problem, Ive got a new pollybelt and water pump, and a mate on hand to do the tough bits like jacking up the engine, but is there anything else I need to know before we embark on it? anything else worth replacing?

The plastic crack pipe that runs accross the front of the engine is pretty shite. Gruven Parts do an alloy one for £40... Might be worth considering while you're fiddling about down there.

Yes, you basically have to ensure that there is a sufficient amount of crack in your system to get into the right frame of mind for the fiddly job ahead :D

Had a split water pump the other day - cost me £8 for a replacement, and a further £105 to get it fitted! If i were you I'd attempt it alone or with a friend, wish i had instead of using the "im on holiday!" excuse ¬_¬