Sign in to follow this  
DanVW

drivers side seatbelt slack

Has anyone replaced their seatbelt mech from VW? Just wondering how much they are as mine

is very slow to pull back the belt when I unplug it, often have to "help" it back in :(

I have the same problem. meant to have a look whilst I had the interior out.

But forgot :?

if you've got the standard early corrado steering wheel, don't worry about headbutting the dashboard..

My drivers side belt is the same DanVW. It's annoying having to help it back in everytime. Think i will ring the stealers in the week and see how much it will be too. Anyone know what kind of job it is like to change ?

It wont be that hard I had the lot out when I took out my headliner to sort the sunroof

Working sunroof is 8)

I had the same problem but I took a slightly different approach. I already did the front ones but the rear ones will be the same.

If you guys want, I can show you how tighten them enough so that they work again when I do the rears. Obviously they won't work like new but it does make a difference. All you need is a flat-head screwdriver and someone to stand around and help you twist it.

I have the same problem - slow to retract - on driver's and passenger's side, but my impression is that its a problem with the belt being 'sticky' and not going smoothly through the slot on the bodywork.

I've been meaning to have a go at cleaning up the belts - not sure which upholstery cleaner to use tho.

Sorry guys, I meant to update this thread. I blew the head and now it's been waiting at my shop for the last couple of months.

I hope to do a quick DIY sometime before the end of the year when I get it back.

:lol: I took the time to get rid of that 14yr old grease and muck off the front seat belts, with hand pumice.

This would be doing the complete opposite, wouldn't it? It's easy enough to take apart and tighten the crap out of that spring when you know what to do.

Hopefully, when I get some pics up, it will be straight forward for those who never looked at the mechanism before.

I realised my seatbelts were no good when i drove a new car, unclipped the belt and the buckle went passed my face at about 90mph and nearly took my nose off.