Sign in to follow this  
vr6monkey

VR6 a PIG to start when warm???

All

My beloved VR6 starts first time every time when cold, BUT it usually takes two or more attempts once the engine is warm, i.e. been on a longish run then stopped for a while???

Any ideas, and anything I can do about it? :?

Cheers, James

Me and my dad had the same problem on an MG Midget ( i know its a bit different) but it was caused by fuel evaporating when the car was hot due to perished fuel lines, when replaced and upgraded with braided ones probelm solved...

Maybe worth having a peep around and seeing what the condition of the lines are like..

Could also be leaky injectors which don't shut off completely which then essentially floods the engine while at rest. When it's cold it needs more fuel anyway and there would also have been fuel evaporation since it was last driven.

It'll almost certainly be the fuel pressure regulator. Have a search and you should hopefully find :)

I'll second what dinkus has suggested. Had exactly the same problem on mine a while back. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator, and cured it straight away...

You can pick them up from Euro Car Parts for about £25..

Steve

Could also be a temp sensor. Does it smell like it's running rich on a warm start? How's the MPG?

Thanks for the advice so far

Does seem to be running rich when warm, oil temp is about 104 on a long run (coolant about 80-85 on long run, 95 in traffic), I get about 27 mpg when putting my foot down, but managed 38.5 mpg (at 65 mph) on the way back from Stoner, so not bad there.

Think I'll be trying the fuel pressure regulator.

If not I'll looking at the fuel injectors.